Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson
> Departments > Veterans Service > Common Questions

Common Questions

Q: Hours of Operation

A: Normal business hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excepting holidays

Q: Location

A: 200 West Oak Street, Fort Collins, CO, 5th floor of the Larimer County Courthouse Offices

Q: How can I contact the Larimer County Veterans Service Office?

A: You can contact the Larimer County Veterans Service Office by calling (970) 498-7390, or via email at

Q: What should I bring to my appointment?

A: Original or certified DD214 (Discharge Papers), Social Security numbers of spouse and children, dates and place of birth, Date/ place of marriage. Prior marriage information(date of prior marriage, place of prior marriage, date the marriage ended, place marriage ended and how the marriage ended death or divorce) Death certificate if appropriate for widows filing for widows benefits. If applying for Non Service Connected Benefits then all income information money in the bank, interest/dividend information- net worth and monthly income. Amount of money being paid out of pocket for medical expenses.... ie Health Insurance premiums, monthly nursing home cost to name a few.

Q: How long will it take to process my claim?

A: Claims take between 9-12 months, in most cases

Q: Can I submit information to the Larimer County Veterans Service Office electronically?

A: You can submit information electronically, to

Q: I do not have my discharge paperwork. What can I do?

A: The Larimer County Veterans Service Office can request this paperwork for you.

Q: Who should apply to use the VA Medical Center?

A: All veterans should apply to use the VAMC. This benefit is sometimes based upon income and some times not, several different categories for eligibility and if interested in seeing if veteran is eligible then he/she should apply.

Q: Can I use the VA Medical Center?

A: If the veteran is found eligible then yes. Veterans eligibility can be based upon when they served, where they served, how much money they have, whether or not they have a service connected disability (even 0% in some cases). You must apply and find out if you are eligible.

Q: Can I get a prescription from the VA Medical Center?

A: If found eligible to use the VAMC, then yes, and in most cases but not all the VAMC doctor MUST be the doctor prescribing the medications in order to have them provided by the VAMC. There could be a copay- $7 to $10.

Q: How do I make an appointment to see a doctor at the VA Medical Center?

A: If eligible then you call for an appointment either at the Cheyenne VAMC 888-483-9127 ask for scheduling or if you would like to use the Fort Collins Clinic then 224-1550.

Q: What is a service-connected rating and how do I establish one?

A: A service-connected rating is an official ruling by a VA Regional Office that your illness or condition is directly related to your active military service. VA Regional Offices are also responsible for administering educational benefits, vocational rehabilitation and other benefit programs, including home loans. To obtain more information, or to apply for any of these, contact your nearest VA Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000 or visit them online at

Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.