Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Listed below are some of the materials that are either restricted or have special disposal requirements . If you have questions or need clarification on the proper disposal of an item, please call (970) 498-5760.
- Chemical waste from a laboratory - These will be handled on a case by case basis, depending on the chemical in question.
- Materials contaminated with PCB's - Not accepted at our facilities.
- "Empty" containers of waste commercial products or chemicals - Acceptable if no free standing liquid remains in the container and that any other labeled disposal requirements are complied with. Pesticide containers must be triple rinsed. Any specific disposal requirements on the label must be strictly complied with. Containers 5 gallon size or larger must be perforated on both ends and/or crushed.
A container or an inner liner removed from a container that has held an acute hazardous waste is considered empty (and therefore suitable for landfill disposal) if:
- The container or inner liner has been triple rinsed using a solvent capable of removing the commercial chemical product; or
- In the case of a container, the inner liner that prevented contact of the commercial product with the container has been removed.
- Asbestos wastes - Friable asbestos is not accepted. Non-friable asbestos is accepted as normal trash.
- Commercial products or chemicals, off specification, outdated, contaminated or banned - These will be handled on a case by case basis, depending on the chemical in question.
- Cleanup residues from spills or releases - These will be handled on a case by case basis, depending on the chemical in question.
- Medical and Biological wastes - These will be handled on a case by case basis, depending on the waste in question.
- Animal Wastes - Large amounts of animal wastes ( >30 pounds) or large animals must be segregated from the normal waste stream and disposed of in the landfill's animal waste disposal area. Animal wastes from research facilities or which may contain pathogens (diseased) would be considered under waste #7. Small amounts of animal blood, (less than 3 gallons) are acceptable if disposed of with other wastes and if they contain no pathogens. Human blood is not accepted at any Larimer County Facility. Animal wastes containing formaldehyde are not accepted at any site.
- Wastes produced by the mechanical processing of fruit, vegetables, or grains - No restriction unless contaminated with a pesticide, additive, or other chemical residue. Must pass the paint filter test and have no free liquids.
- Liquids - Bulk liquids are not accepted at any solid waste facility. (See item #29, Canned Food, for small amounts of liquid containing waste.) Liquid is defined by the EPA Paint Filter Test (EPA Method 9095).
- Sludge from waste water treatment facility - State Solid Waste Regulations require that the sludge be approved for disposal by the State Department of Health and the Board of County Commissioners prior to disposal.
- Grease trap wastes from food preparation areas - Must pass EPA paint filter test.
- Underground Storage Tanks - The scrap metal from used underground storage tanks may be accepted provided that the tank has been cut in half (minimum) and no remaining sludge or liquid remains in the tank.
- Pesticides - Not accepted at our facilities.
- Chemical containing equipment - These will be handled on a case by case basis, depending on the chemical in question.
- Chemically contaminated demolition debris - These will be handled on a case by case basis, depending on the chemical in question.
- Closed cartridge filter from dry-cleaning establishments - Not accepted at our facilities.
- Soil contaminated with petroleum products, other than gasoline or diesel fuel. - Soil contaminated with oil, or any other petroleum product, other than gasoline or diesel fuel, is not accepted at any Larimer County facility.
- Compressed gas cylinders - Compressed gas cylinders, including fire extinguishers, propane tanks, and other gas cylinders are acceptable provided:
- The cylinder is completely empty.
- The valve assembly has been removed and disconnected from the tank to insure the tank is empty and contains only air.
- If the valve is not removable, it must be completely opened for at least 48 hours prior to disposal.
- The empty container is not considered a hazardous waste under state or federal regulations.
- Solvents - Not accepted at our facilities.
- Barrels and Drums - Must have holes punched in both ends of the container or be crushed. Holes must be a minimum size of one inch in diameter and of sufficient quantity to insure no liquid remains in the container. This requirement applies to all barrels, drums or containers larger than five (5) gallon capacity.
- Wood and Tree limbs - Must be cut in lengths no longer than six (6) feet.
- Gasoline tanks, from motor vehicles - Must be empty and pose no threat of fire or explosion due to remaining fumes.
- Radioactive waste - Not accepted unless approved by the State Department of Health, on a case by case basis.
- Car Bodies - Must be accompanied by the title or a notarized bill of sale.
- Motorcycles - Must be accompanied by the title or a notarized bill of sale.
- Mobile homes - Must be accompanied by the title or a notarized bill of sale.
- Lead Acid Batteries - Not accepted at any solid waste site for disposal. May be taken to the Larimer County Landfill for recycling. (Drop off at battery cart near the working face.)
- Canned food - Canned food products, including liquids, such as canned vegetables, fruits, soups, milk (also in cartons), juices (in cans or jars), soda, and beer, can be accepted in quantities less than 5 gallons. Large amounts of canned food in excess of 5 gallons cannot be accepted unless the liquid portion is removed prior to acceptance.