Larimer County Mountain pass in Summer

Business Hazardous Wastes

Entrance to our hazardous waste facility
Business customers must make an appointment to drop off waste at our hazardous waste collection facility, where our staff is happy to help you.

(970) 498-5771
(970) 498-5773 (to schedule an appointment)
(970) 498-5770 (24-hour information line)

What is the BHAPE program?

BHAPE is Larimer County's Business Hazardous Waste Assistance and Education Program. It provides a safe and affordable disposal/recycling option for Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) in Larimer County. This voluntary program is fee based and operated at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at the Larimer County Landfill.

Who is eligible to use BHAPE?

Example of unacceptable business hazardous waste
These corroded drums of waste represent the quantity and type of waste that cannot be accepted through BHAPE.

To use BHAPE you must:

  1. Operate your business and generate hazardous waste in Larimer County
  2. Be classified as a CESQG (see below)
  3. Generate waste that is approved by BHAPE

Examples of businesses that participate in BHAPE include:

  1. Auto repair shops with cleaning solvents and used oil
  2. Woodworkers with solvents, varnish and stains
  3. Exterminators with pesticides and herbicides, etc.

BHAPE will assist any Larimer County business that fits the CESQG definition.

What is a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG)?

A CESQG is a business that is exempt from most state and federal hazardous waste disposal regulations, as long as it generates very small quantities of hazardous waste and ensures delivery of its waste to a facility that is permitted to receive it.

Specifically, a CESQG:

  1. Generates no more than 100 kilograms (about 220 pounds or 25 gallons) of hazardous waste in any calendar month
  2. Generates no more than 1 kilogram (about 2.2 pounds) of acutely hazardous waste in any calendar month
  3. Never accumulates more than 1000 kilograms of hazardous waste on-site

How can BHAPE help Larimer County businesses?

  1. By saving businesses money when managing smaller quantities of hazardous waste
  2. By assuring proper disposal and recycling of business wastes
  3. By providing on-site assistance with waste identification and suggestions for waste minimization

How do businesses participate in BHAPE?

  1. Call the Larimer County Department of Solid Waste at 498-5773 to request an information packet. A field representative is available to provide free technical assistance.
  2. Schedule an appointment to deliver waste. (Waste will be accepted every Wednesday by appointment only. Call 498-5773 to schedule.)
  3. Deliver waste at scheduled time.
  4. Pay with cash or check to Larimer County Solid Waste. (For current BHAPE fee schedule, please call 498-5773 or 498-5771.)

A Word About Fluorescent Bulbs

Did you know that fluorescent bulbs are considered hazardous waste? The bulbs contain mercury and should not be discarded with regular trash. But you can safely dispose of them through BHAPE.

For more information, visit the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment's "Lighting Wastes" page.

Computers, electronics and the Universal Waste Rule

On July 31, 2001, electronic devices and components (such as, but not limited to, computer monitors, central processing units and printers) were added to the Universal Waste Rule, which was created by the federal government to assist businesses and agencies that handle certain frequently generated hazardous wastes. Other items that may be included under this rule are batteries, mercury-containing lighting wastes (such as fluorescent light bulbs), and aerosol cans.

If a business has electronics it no longer needs, the most practical choice is to recycle them as a universal waste rather than dispose of them. Disposal of these wastes is difficult to control because of their widespread use. The rule is intended to provide a set of reduced management standards that lessen the regulatory burden and encourage recycling for those wastes generated. Under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), if materials that are considered universal wastes are not managed under the Universal Waste Rule, then they are subject to full compliance with hazardous waste rules such as labeling, manifesting, training and time limits.

If you have wastes that can be declared universal wastes, guidelines for handling them can be found in the Colorado Hazardous Waste Regulations 6 CCR 1007-3 Part 273.

For complete details regarding these regulations as well as other useful information, access the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment's hazardous waste Web page. Or call the Larimer County Household Hazardous Waste Program at 498-5773 with questions.

Background Image: Larimer County Mountain pass in Summer. All rights reserved.