News Release

Vacation home rentals and B&Bs in the Estes Valley Development Area must acquire an operating permit

Department: Board of County Commissioners
Release Date: Jun 4, 2013


Deni La Rue
Larimer County
Community Information Manager


In 2010, the Larimer County Board of County Commissioners and the Estes Park Board of Trustees amended the Estes Valley Development Code to require all Estes Valley vacation home rentals (rented for fewer than 30 days) and bed and breakfast inns (B&B) to obtain an annual operating permit to further protect the character of residential neighborhoods.  A business license will serve as the permit for properties within Estes Park Town limits. However, a separate annual operating permit is required for all vacation home rentals and B&Bs in the unincorporated county area of the Estes Valley Development Area, excluding those which are zoned “A” Accommodation. A map of the development area is available at
There is no cost for the annual operating permits for county properties. Permits were required as of July 30, 2010, and can be obtained from the Town of Estes Park Town Clerk’s office in Town Hall, 170 MacGregor Avenue in Estes Park. For more information, call the Town Clerk’s office 970-577-4777 or visit > Business Licensing.  Properties which continue operating without a permit are subject to enforcement action. In the unincorporated Estes Valley, enforcement action can result in a hearing before the Larimer County Commissioners, citation into District Court, and fines. Inside Town limits, enforcement action can result in a citation into Municipal Court and fines.
The permit process will assist in bringing vacation home rentals and B&Bs into compliance with applicable regulations. Since 2004, Estes Valley vacation home rentals and B&Bs have been subject to regulations which are intended to protect the residential character of neighborhoods where these commercial operations also exist. These regulations include maximum occupancy and number of parties, appearance, signage and parking.  The covenants of homeowners associations may be more restrictive and even prohibit vacation rentals. For more information on applicable regulations, please contact the Town of Estes Park Community Development Department at 970-577-3720.
Accommodation rentals of fewer than 30 days are subject to sales taxes. The permit process for vacation home rentals and B&Bs in residential neighborhoods will also assist in the collection of the appropriate taxes which may include state, county, town and local marketing district taxes. For more information on these taxes, please visit .