Technical Support Team Lead
The Technical Support Team Lead acts as an expert lead member of a technical team responsible for the overall coordination, control and maintenance of FITD systems and processes and will be a strong contributor to our service management strategy. As a leader in the FITD support team, the Technical Support Team Lead will be responsible for overseeing, contributing, and mentoring to the work of a professional technical staff. The Technical Support Team Lead will oversee the service desk staff and ensure that end users are receiving the highest level of customer service possible at all times and assist in solving complex technical problems. This position will function as the Incident Management Process owner and insure the continuous improvement in our service delivery and response to incidents and problems.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
- Receives general supervision from the Chief Information Officer.
- Provides direct supervision, mentoring, and project resource oversight for the technical support services team.
- Manages the Service Desk function in support of the entire Facilities and Information Technology Division and their customers.
- Coordinate and mentor Technical Support staff in support of FITD's service priorities.
- Lead the effort in creative approaches to problem solving.
- Provide leadership to Technical Support staff by disseminating information and through advising, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Develop and ensure adherence to methodologies, standards, and procedures.
- Coordinate employee development including coaching, objective setting, training, performance management and talent planning
- Promote teamwork, while fostering cooperation to meet team and individual goals and objectives.
- Provide input to annual budgeting and planning process.
- Coordination and communication with FITD leadership to identify areas where information technology could enhance the delivery of utility and business services.
- Ensure service level agreements are met and reacts accordingly when the level drops.
- Follow up with unsatisfied customers to ensure issues are resolved and the customers are satisfied.
- Work with other IT managers and team leads to ensure quality in service operations.
- Ability to work with all levels of people in the organization using both written and oral communication.
- Maintain a mindset of continuous improvement, in terms of efficiency of support processes, customer satisfaction and the application of tools for monitoring, management and optimization.
- Build relationships with county department service owners.
- Coordinate and manage on-call support.
- Other duties as assigned.
The IT Technical Support Lead will be expected to both lead and provide hands-on support of the following core activities as required:
- Support Larimer County's diverse network of software, hardware, telephony, and process solutions for county staff.
- Provide superior customer service, driving overall satisfaction by addressing customer issues in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve technical customer issues associated with Larimer counties current IT and Facilities systems.
- Assist in research, installation and implementation, and ongoing maintenance of office technology hardware and software.
- Support FITD's incident management process by coordinating customer support communications from incident creation to closure.
- Create and maintain detailed knowledge records of events, problems, known errors, work arounds and resolutions.
- Represent the FITD team as a technical consultant to various internal project teams and customers.
- Work with other members of FITD to implement IT and business customer technical solutions.
- Author technical systems documentation of Larimer Counties current FITD systems and processes.
- Work diplomatically and effectively with customers at all levels of the organization.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Proficiency in implementing and maintaining some or all of the following:
o Microsoft Server, including Active Directory
o Powershell or other Scripting (Python, BASH, Batch, VBS)
- Familiarity with Cisco networking; routing, NAT, VLAN, DHCP, SSL/SSH, DNS, WiFi.
- Good understanding of working in a "service management" framework focused on business outcomes and measures.
- Manage annual technology equipment replacement refresh process for desktop computers, printers, telephones equipment, radios, pagers, and software.
- Maintain current technical expertise in the rapidly changing technology of computers and networking (pc's, laptops, netbooks, tablets, smart phones, printers, and network equipment.), communication systems (telephones, voicemail, cellular, radios, pagers, and microwaves), integrated Audio/Visual systems (sound system, microphones, switches, VCR/DVD, projectors, etc.) and utilizes state-of-the-art techniques when implementing office technology solutions.
- Use deductive and inductive reasoning techniques to effectively troubleshoot systems problems; perform standard diagnostics to identify and isolate system troubles; follow established procedures to identified problems and restore system to full functionality; administers test to verify that the corrective action actually cleared the problem.
- Past participation in network build projects, including both design and implementation
- Ability to independently leverage critical thinking skills to address real-world customer issues.
- Experience administratively maintaining and auditing equipment, software, logs, and IT systems documentation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, track, and measure a wide range of competing demands.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other team members and County employees. Works proactively to resolve conflicts and facilitate healthy an working environment.
- Solve trouble calls, complete project tasks, attend meetings and training sessions, etc. in order to assist in meeting work deadlines and fulfill service levels in a timely manner.
- Work in confined spaces; to lift and transport supplies and equipment
- Analyze problems of the technical nature and to develop procedural steps in the solution of problems.
- Use hand tools and test equipment
- Read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, technical manuals or government regulations.
Experience in the following would be highly advantageous:
- Expert Windows XP, Windows 7 & Windows 8; Advanced Windows Troubleshooting; Microsoft Office 2003 - 2010 for Windows; Microsoft MDOP; Disk cloning; VMware View 5.x; Apple iOS (iPad & iPhone); Chrome, IE7+, & Java; Desktop & laptop hardware repair and troubleshooting.
- Windows 2003 - 2008 R2 server; Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 2008; Linux and Sun Solaris OS; VoIP (ShoreTel); VMware ESX and ESXi 4.1 and 5.0; Enterprise Storage; Backup Technology
- Cisco Switches, Routers and Firewalls; DNS and DHCP; Microsoft Active Directory; VPN
- Building Control Systems (Trane); Space Planning; Custodial and Building Maintenance
- Oracle ERP Financials; Google Apps for Government; MacOS X
- Five years of progressive experience in information systems and technology, a directly related field, or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities. Four years experience handling customer support calls in a centralized Help Desk environment.
- Associate's Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration or equivalent where two years of experience can equal one year of education.
- Computer Science, Engineering, Electronics, Information Systems, or a related field.
- Valid driver's license
- Microsoft MCSA
- CompTIA A+, or similar
- Help Desk Certification or equivalent
- ITIL V3 Foundations Certification
- Security experience (anti-virus, firewalls, proxies, encryption)
- Formal project management training and/or certification (PMI, Agile Scrum)