Technical Support Services Director
Under limited direction; directs, administers, and manages the Technology Support Services Department within the Information Technology Division including design, acquisition, budget, fund management, project management, implementation, and overall support and maintenance of communications and information technology infrastructure (network, communications, system administration, technical support, and support services). Responsible for overall leadership and management of the Technology Support Services Department. Works closely with the Information Technology Division Director and other IT Department management in developing the strategic and tactical direction of services delivered by IT to the organization. Accountable for ensuring that technology infrastructure, support services, and project management standards and policies are adhered to along with the maintenance and change management processes and methods to best meet internal and external customer requirements. Manages and/or supports projects and related activities including, but not limited to, developing project plans, creating decision papers, major architecture or technology decisions, system upgrades, and interfacing with vendors.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general guidance from the Information Technology Division Director.
- Exercises direct supervision over Support Services and Infrastructure Support Group Managers and Inventory Quality Control Specialist.
- Assign, direct, and supervise activities of Group Managers and Inventory Quality Control Specialist, ensuring adherence to established policies, procedures, and standards. Administer or make recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting subordinates including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, assigning work, scheduling work hours, granting leave, appraising performance, disciplining and submitting such records and reports as required by County policies and procedures.
- Provide technical leadership to Technical Support Services Department and the organization including being conversant with the future direction of communications and information technology infrastructure (network, communications, system administration, technical support, and support services), how that direction will impact the organization/department, and how future and current infrastructure can be exploited for the benefit of the organization/department.
- Direct and facilitate the design of large and/or complex technology infrastructure systems or upgrades which are designed to provide the infrastructure for delivering communications and information technology in a timely and efficient manner to IT and the customer.
- Work with Information Technology Division Director, Group Managers, Business Analysts, and Technology Advocacy Board to establish mission, goals, objectives, and work plans for the County's communications and information technology infrastructure.
- Design, develop, and establish standards to which the Technical Support Services Department staff must adhere, thereby providing an enterprise wide set of standards and support processes.
- Support departmental goals as required for the planning and implementation of strategies which assure customer satisfaction, system availability, service levels, and meeting and exceeding first and second level problem resolution.
- Meet with Group Managers or project sponsors to outline work plans, develop time frames, and to assign duties and responsibilities; determines the allotment of available resources to various maintenance and project activities.
- Direct, motivate, delegate, and empower Group Managers and teams to successfully perform their tasks and responsibilities while also encouraging innovation.
- Develop Management by Objectives for Group Managers and perform employee performance reviews that provide feedback, career development, mentoring, coaching, and training direction.
- Establish problem tracking and change verification processes that ensure quality and cost effective modification to information technology production environments; monitor these environments to enforce related policies and procedures.
- Recognize and identify potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need to be developed, especially regarding future business expansion.
- Proactively communicate with customer community and provide technical advisory services as required; establish and maintain a positive working relationship with all departments to optimize working relationships and communication.
- Participate as a member of the Divisions management team; prepare work programs and detailed reports on a variety of related operations and program topics.
- Assist in preparing and planning the annual budget document and provide Information Technology Division Director and Business Administration Director with input regarding the budget.
- Develop and manage the budget; review and approve expenditures.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- A broad range of information technologies including n-tiered client/server, computing environments, web technologies, servers, storage, imaging, email, etc.
- A broad range of communications technologies including wide area networks, fiber networks, frame-relay networks, public safety radio and microwave networks, PBX's, Voice over IP, etc.
- Data communications including protocols, tariffs, monitoring, and network forecasting techniques
- Techniques and hardware capabilities of a large scale database and data communications environment
- A broad range of operating systems including Windows NT, Windows XP, Novell, Solaris, or other Unix systems.
- A broad range of local and wide area network communications technologies including TCP/IP, Fast Ethernet, Gig-E, ATM, and Frame Relay.
- Project management methods and techniques.
- Analytical and logical problem solving skills
- Performance measurement and customer service improvement practices.
- Federal, state, or local government business.
- Plan and implement multiple large and/or complex communications and information technology infrastructure projects.
- Assess organizational needs and relate appropriate technology solutions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Plan, organize, schedule, and monitor tasks and resources in order to accomplish established goals and objectives.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate methods, procedures, and policies applicable to Technical Support Services, Systems Administration, and Support Services.
- Demonstrate one-on-one and group interpersonal skills. Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instruction. Must be adaptable to performing under stress and when confronted with persons also under stress.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Eight years of progressive experience in information systems and technology, a directly related field, or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities. Six years experience with implementing large and/or complex database, systems, and network projects. Four years in a leadership or management role.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field required. Equivalent to a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field preferred.