WIA Youth Program GED Tutor
WIA Youth Program Tutors provide part-time, one on one, customized GED tutoring to at risk-youth ages 16-21 who are currently participating in an employment and education program through the Larimer County Workforce Center. Tutors will meet regularly one on one with students to assist them in preparation for a GED diploma and work in partnership with WIA Youth Case Managers to ensure student success and support.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Provide one on one, individualized instruction to at-risk youth ages 16-21 who are pursuing a GED diploma.
- Utilize multiple methods of instruction to best meet the needs of each individual student including creating lesson plans, assigning homework, and facilitating practice tests as needed.
- Establish and maintain appropriate student-tutor relationships with young adults.
- Maintain open and effective communication with Workforce Center staff regarding student progress, concerns, learning difficulties, and test readiness.
- Accurately document work hours and activities and submit according to required payroll schedule.
- Expertise/working knowledge of all GED subjects including Mathematics, Writing, Reading, Social Studies, and Science.
- Knowledge and use of multiple learning tools to best facilitate individual learning needs.
- Knowledge of current GED test requirements, format and subject matter.
Any combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, judgment, integrity, temperament, demeanor, legal ability and personal qualities as follows:
- Past/present teaching and/or tutoring experience required.
- Past or present experience working with at-risk youth preferred.
- Bilingual English-Spanish a plus but not required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must pass criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.