County Offices, Courts and the Landfill will be closed on Monday, September 7 in observance of the Labor Day Holiday.
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Vote Center Technician
Coordinates all phases of vote centers on election day. Works with the Ballot Distribution and Election Day teams to recruit, schedule, and train staff of 500-600 election day workers. Redesigns election day processes to meet law changes. Compiles a current "field manual" for election day referencing. Works with the Distribution Staff to coordinate and plan all supply packing and delivery to vote centers. Requires project management skills to work with other team members to ensure smooth setup, operation and breakdown of all vote centers.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Election Operations Manager.
- Receives direct supervision from the Ballot Distribution Project Lead.
- Exercises direct supervision over all Vote Center Supervisors.
- Exercises direct supervision of all vote center election workers, as needed.
- Administer state and federal election laws to provide successful polling location voting experiences for staff and the public.
- Review, analyze, and explain election day statutes and rules.
- Recruit and manage Vote Center supervisors and troubleshooters.
- Recruit vote center workers in compliance with statutory compliance and caucus workers provided through the caucus party selection process; responsible for the communication flow with all workers; may work in conjunction with a temporary employee to obtain the number of judges necessary.
- Create a vote center field manual for each election including voter processing, emergency procedures, security provisions, ballot and provisional ballot processing, vote tabulation equipment handling, and the set-up and tear-down of each vote center site.
- Process all election workers payroll and related paperwork.
- Create supply manifests for each vote center station to ensure appropriate supplies and materials are available for all election workers at each vote center station.
- Coordinate, as necessary, with the Distribution Center staff information on supply packing, manifests, procedures, and training requirements.
- Plan and organize all vote center training schedules and training classes; conduct classes as required.
- Provide intense election cycle support to all vote center sites on election day.
- Work with other team members to guarantee smooth set-up, operation, and break-down of all vote center sites.
- Extensive public contact both in the vote center arena and the office arena; answer questions, explain processes, and further the voter education process with the public.
- Assist with voter registration functions as needed.
- Assist with re-precincting projects as needed.
- Assist with petition projects as needed.
- Work in any Clerk and Recorder department when necessary.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Principles, practices, and objectives as related to organizations in public administration.
- Principles, practices, and objectives as related to the Clerk and Recorder.
- Colorado Revised Statutes, Title 1, election laws, and other relevant statutory references to the election process; Secretary of State Rules and regulations as directed by statute; Federal election laws as applicable including, but not limited to, The Help America Vote Act of 2002 and the National Voting Rights Act of 1963; thorough understanding of election day voting statutes and rules.
- Department and County rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and standard operation procedures.
- Principles and best practices of elections, project management, public relations, and personnel management.
- Supervisory principles, procedures and methods including selection, training, discipline, and evaluation.
- Routine software and business applications including, but not limited to, voter registration, election management, word processing, spreadsheets, layouts, scheduling, project management, and databases.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all vote center workers.
- Read and interpret statutes.
- Properly interpret and make decisions in accordance with laws, regulations, and policies.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
- The elections process is extremely complex and requires accuracy and detailed attention. Stress is most definitely a factor in this position.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- One year of supervisory experience in the elections arena or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities. Election judge experience is a plus!
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Business Administration, or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, voter's registration in State of Colorado and Larimer County.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain in the next two years, a Colorado State Election Certification.
- Maintain continuing education hours annually or as required.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
Must be able to:
- Lift ballot boxes and cases weighing up to 32 pounds from floor level to 60 inches above floor level.
- Carry up to 32 pounds from a cart to a vehicle.
- Push and/or pull with up to 25 pounds of force.
- Stand and/or walk for up to eight hours during quality control tasks.