Larimer County Offices, Courts, District Attorney, Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste, and Recycle Center are all closed on Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2015.
County Offices are also closed on Friday, November 27 while the Courts, District Attorney, Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste, and Recycle Center are open.
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Technical Support Specialist/Radio
Performs a variety of duties in the installation, maintenance, and repair of the County's microwave, radio, paging, and telecommunications system. Assists the County in the expansion and/or acquisition of a County communication system. Assists in microwave/radio system, projects, and related activities including, but not limited to, system upgrades, system maintenance, interfacing with vendors, training personnel, the County Equipment Replacement Plan, and providing "hands on" assistance wherever necessary.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives direct supervision from the Systems Administrator/Microwave.
- Exercises no supervision.
- Perform a variety of duties in the installation, programming, maintenance, and repair of the County's microwave, radio, and telecommunications systems.
- Design and construct large and/or complex radio/communication systems or networks for County agencies and outside agencies as requested which are designed to provide the infrastructure for delivering radio communications information in a timely and efficient manner.
- Advise on communications equipment purchases ensuring interface compatibility with existing systems.
- Design and construct communications systems for County agencies and outside agencies as requested.
- Analyze future County communications needs and prepare proposals and specifications for equipment acquisitions.
- Coordinate and participate in the installation, repair, and maintenance of electronic communications equipment.
- Install, maintain, and align antenna systems, communications towers, feed lines, and lightening protection equipment at local and remote communications facilities.
- Coordinate with communications vendors to unsure compatibility with two-way radios, mobile radios, portable radios, pagers, and microwave and data transmission equipment.
- Act as backup County representative in all communications matters with other State or Local Government agencies, the Associated Public Safety Communications Officials, the Federal Communications Commission or any other agency as required.
- Keep current with technologies, regulations, and industry trends to ensure the County communications plans coincide with these trends.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Operational characteristics of communications systems used by the County and by other State and Local Government Agencies.
- Design, repair, tuning, and servicing of two-way radio systems and equipment.
- Design, repair, tuning, and servicing of paging systems.
- Design, repair, tuning, and servicing of Digital Microwave Systems.
- 800 MHz trunking systems
- Read and comprehend department and County rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and standard operation procedures.
- Scope and application of laws and regulations pertaining to Federal Communications Commission programs.
- Safe work practices.
- Install, maintain, and repair communications systems.
- Work on an on-call basis for the emergency repair of County Public Safety Communications Systems.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Perform duties independently without close supervision.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Three years of experience in the installation, repair, and maintenance of communication systems, a directly related field, or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities.
- High School diploma or GED required, supplemented by specialized training in communications systems installation, repair, and maintenance.
- NABER license or a comparable general radio/telephone license.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 75 pounds
- Work requires the climbing of microwave towers and working at high elevations.