Monitors and maintains all aspects of system administration in the enterprise including, but not limited to, communication systems (data networks and telephone system), servers, enterprise backups, and network security systems. Ensures the day-to-day operation, installation, monitoring and repair of the data systems, servers and related systems. Experience in administration of network servers, edge switches, routers, terminal servers, telephone PBX, and pager systems. Maintains and updates system documentation and ensures procedures are executed properly and in a timely manner.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Infrastructure Support Group Manager.
- Receives supervision and work assignment coordination from Systems Administration Team Lead.
- Coordinate and assist in technical equipment (switches, routers, servers, radio equipment) installation, de-installation, and relocation services for both local and remote sites.
- Maintains and updates equipment inventory records, system problem records, system documentation, and operating procedure manuals.
- Perform "hands on" work including, but not limited to, pulling cables, moving equipment, mounting gear, cleaning data centers, writing configurations, site surveys, and component repair.
- Perform technical equipment and system monitoring activities to ensure optimal performance.
- Assist with capacity planning and monitoring of enterprise system capacity and usage
- Create and establish enterprise backup strategies and perform data recovery as needed.
- Ensure that all back-end technical systems and related equipment is maintained in proper working order.
- Ensure that all system software is operational, maintained, and patched as appropriate.
- Evaluate system performance and troubleshoot problems.
- Assist in the integrity of data transmission to and from remote locations.
- Maintain current knowledge of technical innovations that coincide with County technology strategies.
- Assist the Sr. System Administrators in designing and managing the enterprise network including wide area and local area networks.
- Perform equipment installations and relocation as required to support the business needs of the enterprise.
- Advise on capacity planning and strategies for leveraging current systems and future system enhancements and upgrades; assist in preparation of proposals and equipment specifications for purchase.
- Advise on system equipment purchases to ensure compatibility with existing systems and adherence with County hardware and software standards.
- Perform at or above the DoIT performance standard.
- Fulfill departmental requirements in terms of providing work coverage and administrative notification during periods of personnel illness, vacation, or education.
- The System Administrator works closely with the network, server, and UNIX subject matter experts to maintain the day to day operations of network servers, hardware, operating systems, security, and data protection.
- Generate, tune, configure, and upgrade server operating systems.
- Develop UNIX cron jobs to automate common functions or system operations.
- Ensure that all distributed software and distributed software problems are solved in a timely and efficient manner with minimal impact on field operations.
- Install server operating system software; modify and install fixes to eliminate software problems and enhancements to maximize system effectiveness and efficiency; prepare necessary documentation.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- A broad range of necessary information technologies including, but not limited to, server operating systems, Unix (Sun Solaris and Linux), client/server computing environments, web technologies, imaging, operating systems (Windows XP Pro, Windows NT/2000/XP Server, microwave/radio systems, paging systems, Unix (Sun Solaris 9 and Linux), database systems (Oracle, MS SQL Server, MS Access), Telephone PBX, wiring (Cat-6 and Fiber), and local and wide area networks (TCP/IP, Ethernet, GigE, ATM, Fiber Channel, iSCSI, NFS, and Frame Relay).
- Routine software and business applications including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases.
- Advanced project management methods and techniques including, but not limited to, work breakdown structure, estimating, scheduling, resource balancing, variance analysis, and critical path.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Performance measurement and customer service improvement practices.
- Federal, state, or local government business.
- Work on an on-call basis for the emergency repair of enterprise systems.
- Plan and implement multiple large and/or complex projects.
- Assess organizational needs and relate appropriate IT solutions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Plan, organize, schedule, and monitor tasks and resources in order to accomplish established goals and objectives.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate methods, procedures, and policies applicable to Technical Support Services and Data Center Services.
- Demonstrate one-on-one and group interpersonal skills. Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instruction. Must be adaptable to performing under stress and when confronted with persons also under stress.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Three years of progressive experience in information systems and network technology, a directly related field, or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities. Two years as a systems administrator and technical support experience required. Two years experience in network administration preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Novell CNA or Microsoft MSCA or equivalent certification.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.