Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Solid Waste Director
Supervises, schedules, and coordinates the functions of the Solid Waste Department including the areas of solid waste, recycling, hazardous waste, transfer stations, and to provide high-level staff and technical support relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Public Works Division Director.
- Exercises direct and indirect supervision over supervisory and staff personnel.
- Assign, direct, and supervise activities of assigned staff ensuring adherence to established policies, procedures, and standards; administer or make recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting subordinates including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, assigning work, scheduling work hours, granting leave, appraising performance, disciplining, and submitting such records and reports as required by County policies and procedures.
- Develop short and long-range goals, policies, and objectives relative to the operation of assigned areas of responsibility.
- Coordinate, advise, and review goals of each assigned section with the respective section supervisor.
- Act as a resource or expert in program area, providing technical guidance to less experienced staff.
- Prepare and administer the department budget; monitor all expenditures and approve billings.
- Represent the Department on various advisory commissions, committees, and boards.
- Coordinate departmental activities with other County departments and with outside agencies.
- Interpret and direct compliance for all Larimer County Departments with various federal and state laws and regulations involving solid and hazardous waste.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Materials, methods, tools, and equipment used in the areas of solid waste management.
- Hazardous waste management programs.
- Operation of sanitary landfills and waste transfer facilities.
- Recycling facility operations.
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations governing assigned areas of responsibility.
- Basic governmental accounting and budgeting practices, including fiscal management and expenditure controls.
- Principles and practices of management and supervision, including techniques of personnel administration.
- Manage a major operational unit within the Public Works Department
- Prepare and administer a budget including implementation of expenditure control requirements for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Perform responsible personnel and administrative duties for the operation.
- Maintain accurate records and prepare clear and concise reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Six years of increasingly responsible administrative and/or supervisory experience in the areas of solid waste, hazardous waste management, and recycling facility operations.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Resource Management, or a closely related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.