Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Senior HR Generalist
Provides responsible professional and technical human resources advice and support services to a diverse public sector organization regarding issues such as employee relations, employee development, recruiting/staffing, performance management, policy and procedure interpretation and implementation, and employment-related laws.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Assistant Human Resources Director.
- Exercises no supervision.
- Conduct standard and advanced level investigations concerning perceived violations of state, County or federal laws, County policy and procedures; prepare reports summarizing investigations and make recommendations for appropriate action.
- Provide support, advise and recommendation to management and employees regarding complaints and grievances; counsels management on appropriate disciplinary actions; assure adherence to policies and procedures and legal compliance; partner to create and provide consistent and appropriate responses; develop proposals for mediation when appropriate; responsible for appeals and dispute resolution.
- Represents the County in unemployment hearings and in court on employment litigation matters.
- Support, review and recommended approval of business plans for organizational restructuring and reductions in force.
- Draft new and revise existing human resource policies and procedures; review and evaluate drafts of internal operating policies and procedures, for legal compliance, appropriateness and consistency.
- Review Family and Medical Leave Act forms for legal and policy compliance and answer related employee and manager questions.
- Identify, research, and evaluate human resource related programs used by other public and private sector employers for adoption.
- Review personnel actions including, but not limited to, evaluations, supervisory guidance memos, disciplinary actions, corrective action plans, and employee agreements for clarity, completeness, and compliance with relevant County policies and governing state and federal employment law.
- Maintain awareness of changes in statutes, regulations, and case law affecting the County's human resource policies; monitor human resource policies and procedures for compliance with appropriate regulations and alert the Assistant Human Resources Director to significant developments in the laws pertaining to the policies and activities of the Human Resources Department.
- Review corrective and disciplinary action documents and assist managers in delivering to employees.
- Deliver human resource related training and facilitation services as needed; coordinate with the Training Specialist and other Human Resources staff to meet specific training needs as identified by Human Resources and assigned departments.
- Conduct supervisory training in discipline, performance management, and employment law.
- Attend seminars, conferences, workshops, classes, lectures, etc., as appropriate, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in field; review professional journals, attend association and professional meetings, and otherwise maintain contacts with professionals to facilitate exchange of information.
- Perform special studies and projects as assigned and required.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Thorough knowledge of human resources field including federal and state laws regarding employment issues with an extensive background in employee relations.
- Displays excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledgeable of conflict resolution, consensus building, and persuasive techniques.
- Ability to attend off-site meetings.
- Principles, practices, and objectives as related to staffing and recruitment, training, performance evaluation, discipline, effective communication, and coaching.
- Scope, interpretation and application of laws and regulations pertaining to human resource management, employment, and personnel policy including federal, state, and local laws, regulations, policies, and case law.
- Interpersonal relationships and organization culture and practices.
- Methods and techniques of facilitation, mediation, conflict resolution, consensus building, and persuasive techniques.
- Routine software and business applications including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases.
- Leadership methods and management skills.
- Perform duties independently without close supervision.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Analyze human resource needs and practices for County departments/offices and develop creative solutions that may include training and education, new procedures or forms, and post-implementation follow-up.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and plan future projects concurrently.
- Organize material and present information clearly and concisely in verbal and written form.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional level experience in a directly related human resources field; public sector human resources experience preferred.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Human Resources Administration, Employment Law, Business, or Public Administration, or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- Senior Professional in Human (SPHR) Certification preferred.
- Standard Office Environment