Senior Applications Support Specialist
This Senior Applications Support Specialist supports vendor or custom software applications understanding functional aspects of the applications and how they apply to business needs. This position is responsible for administering large complex enterprise or cross agency business applications which may require configuring, maintaining, supporting, and operating the system. The Senior Application Support Specialist will be responsible for research, analysis, and will play a key role in the selection or design of business applications.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
- Works under the direct supervision of Department Head or Division Head.
- May exercise direct or indirect supervision over support and professional staff, and/or cross functional project team including outside vendors.
- Translates and communicates business needs between users/coworkers and Information Technology staff and/or vendor.
- Formulates and defines business needs, application scope, requirements, goals, and objectives.
- Prepares work flow analysis, business process re-engineering and detailed requirements, from which applications will be written, purchased, or use of existing application modules/functionality will be deployed..
- Responsible for optimal and efficient use of modules and functionality of business applications.
- Manages testing, configuration, and implementation of new applications, modules, or functionality, in coordination with entire organization as applicable.
- Resolves user and/or operational problems.
- Provide advice and problem solving recommendations to coworkers regarding the use of large complex software applications.
- Sets up and maintains user system access, security profiles, and roles according to established procedures.
- Maintains and monitors system performance, integration points, records, transactions, or logs necessary to ensure applications are running at necessary levels of accuracy and performance.
- Develops, prepares, and updates user manuals, procedures, process flows, and training materials.
- Generates, receives, and reviews application produced output, verifying for completeness and accuracy, consulting with other coworkers as necessary, and initiating corrections when required.
- Schedules data input/output/integration routines and stays aware of and corrects scheduled jobs.
- Receives requests from coworkers for service or problem resolution on Departmental/Divisional applications.
- Prioritizes and resolves issues; routes appropriate issues to Vendor or FITD; tracks the progress of service and problem resolution; regularly communicates with coworkers to keep them informed of the status of their requests.
- Responsible for managing medium projects.
- Provides coaching, guidance and training as related to the applications as required.
- Establishes and leads enterprise wide/cross agency teams to identify or deploy updates, patches, enhancements, and new system functionality.
- Performs root cause analysis of problem (configuration vs. defect).
- Leads appropriate teams for the development of corrective actions or viable workarounds to resolve problem.
- Executes scheduled or unscheduled application processes relating to operational maintenance and outputs of the applications.
- Performs routine and specialized audits of systems for the purpose of preventative maintenance and improvements of applications.
- Ensures all work is carried out and documented in accordance with required standards, methods and procedures.
- Performs testing to validate accuracy and validity of reports and data integrity.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in reporting design plans and suggest areas of improvement.
- Develops enterprise wide test scripts and plans and lead testing efforts as required.
- Acts as liaison between Department and Information Technology staff
- Performs other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of concepts, standards, and business practices of business unit you are assigned to.
- Ability to understand large complex enterprise/cross agency applications.
- Strong applications analysis and issue resolution (troubleshooting) skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications with ability to work effectively and provide feedback to senior level managers, cross functional teams, and vendors
- Self-starter with strong work ethic and ability to excel in fast paced, high demand environment
- Read, comprehend, and apply department and County rules, regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Ability to identify cross departmental/divisional interdependencies.
- Ability to implement changes within the organization and apply best practices.
- Ability to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
- Advanced knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Knowledge of advanced database concepts, data extraction and reporting
- Knowledge of troubleshooting tools and techniques related to business applications.
- Technical aptitude to understand assigned applications in sufficient depth to address many customer/user questions.
- Demonstrated skills in systems analysis and requirements gathering.
- 8 or more years related applications support or systems support experience
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Business, , or related field
- Additional training, classes, or course work in business specific area, Project Management, Facilitation, or Communications preferred.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.