Senior Accounting Technician
Senior Accounting Technician is the Senior (lead or specialized) level job in the Accounting Technician series. The Senior Accounting Technician performs complex and specialized clerical accounting duties requiring a thorough knowledge of bookkeeping and public agency accounting procedures.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Department head, Accounting Supervisor, or other high level management staff.
- May exercise direct and/or indirect supervision over assigned accounting clerical staff.
- Enters data in computer, ledger and other accounting records and utilizes computer accounting reports to balance documents and cash.
- Maintains accounting summaries.
- Prepares various simple financial reports and projections of funds.
- Processes and verifies payroll records and information.
- Balances daily cash transactions and audit recaps.
- Prepares bank deposits and reconciles bank statements.
- Works with data processing to correct and improve computer information and reports.
- Provides assistance to other employees regarding bookkeeping methods and procedures.
- Implements and maintains efficient filing systems.
- Researches clerical accounting problems and recommends procedures to correct problems.
- Gathers and computes data for departmental budget.
- May direct, train and monitor the work of other employees.
- Performs related work as required.
- Functional knowledge of modern office and bookkeeping practices and procedures.
- Mathematical principles and procedures.
- Data processing operations related to the maintenance of fiscal records.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- High School diploma or GED required, supplemented by specialized courses in accounting and business practices.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in maintaining financial and statistical records in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities.
- Some supervisory experience preferred.