Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
A senior level Accountant requiring a broad and advanced knowledge of accounting principles and procedures. Devises and installs general accounting systems and procedures.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Supervises technician or administrative support work through direct guidance. May supervise, lead or direct the work of lower level Accountants.
- Receives administrative supervision from management personnel.
- Reconciles cash receipts, accounts receivables, monthly bank statements, reviews balance sheet activity, and prepares adjusting journal entries as necessary.
- Input financial, inventory or other related information into computer system; prepares reports from computer data.
- Prepares memorandums, letters and reports conveying internal department communication or external client information.
- Tracking and reporting for projects and programs; prepare project/program financial reports; maintain and reconcile project/program cost reports; assist project/program managers with financial information; attend to project/program manager's queries regarding project/program reports/budgets.
- Audit and process payment for various contracts and miscellaneous expenses.
- Monitor and report on the status of state and federal grants; review and audit grant contracts, amendments, and other documents to ensure grant compliance.
- Conducts individual petty cash audits on annual basis, documenting errors and discrepancies and takes additional measures for monitoring use of funds if necessary.
- Audits contracts, purchase orders, vouchers, and invoices for validity and proper recording in the general ledger and sub ledgers.
- Provide financial reports for department(s), state and federal agencies and other users by compiling and verifying, information related to grant agreements, budgets, general ledger account balances, revenues and expenditures as appropriate, to include reconciling accounting information between various financial systems.
- Maintain accounting files by reviewing and analyzing a variety of accounting transactions for accuracy and propriety and by preparing adjusting journal entries as required. Balances related expense and liability accounts.
- Prepare and analyzes a variety of month end, quarterly and yearly financial reports of a complex nature.
- Coordinates and conducts the annual physical inventory of Department equipment and fixed assets and verifies data submitted.
- Conducts various audits to verify policy compliance is maintained.
- Assists auditors in annual audit, including retrieving and preparing supporting documentation or responding to questions.
- Assist in the preparation of year-end financial statements by reviewing, reconciling, compiling and evaluating accounting records and preparing year-end audit work papers for individual funds.
- Conduct internal reviews of existing accounting systems; prepare financial reports.
- Assist in the preparation of the operating budget for all grants; prepare formal budget close-outs for grant reporting.
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, fund balance, revenues, and expenditures, and prepares governmental financial statements and other reports to summarize historical and projected financial position.
- Serve as the primary contact for all financial transactions (including grants and projects/programs), assist staff with obtaining financial information, reporting, and monitoring financial activity.
- Train users on how to navigate the financial system and train them to interpret financial data.
- Maintain all grant & contract-related records; monitor compliance with grant terms, regulations & coordinate submission of all reports; post award operations; monitors revenues & expenditures, ensuring data is recorded in the financial accounting system; tracks expenditures on grants and submits grant reimbursement requests.
- Interprets and assures compliance with appropriate federal, state, and departmental laws, rules & regulations & standards in areas of accounting and reporting.
- Provides professional advice to others in the resolution of difficult accounting problems and answers inquiries from other departmental personnel concerning accounting policies and procedures.
- Preparation of year-end financial statements by reviewing, reconciling, compiling and evaluating accounting records and preparing year-end audit work papers for individual funds.
- Assist other departments in long range planning and budget development assistance.
- Coordinates new software and changes to existing software. Implements and verifies parallel processes when integrating external department software to Financial System. Prepares on-going maintenance and verification that external software reports accurately to Financial System and investigates discrepancies.
- Develops or assists in establishing and writing policies to ensure that the assets, liabilities and earnings of the County are properly stated and accounted for. Responsible for continual evaluation of current policies and procedures for verification of effectiveness is maintained, thus requiring interaction with multiple departments and levels of management
- Conduct special projects as requested including implementation of new GASB's ( Governmental Accounting standards Board), statements on new financial concepts and infrastructure.
- Monitors, maintains and revises accounting and financial reporting systems to ensure viability and integrity of financial information.
- Reviews, investigates and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents and reports.
- May set-up and maintain financial system infrastructure, such as account codes. May troubleshoot system for users.
- Cost accounting theory and practices.
- Sound principles and practices of financial auditing.
- Automated financial management systems.
- Modern office methods, practices, procedures and equipment.
- Application of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures to a variety of accounting audits, transactions and problems.
- Governmental accounting principles and practices.
- Governmental accounting Standards Board
- Federal and State tax regulations.
- Financial research and report preparation methods and techniques.
- Prepare a variety of routine financial statements, reports and analyses.
- Apply accounting principles to the maintenance of financial and accounting transactions and audit of financial records.
- Apply Federal, State and local laws and regulations to accounting and auditing work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally in writing.
- Examine and verify a wide variety of financial documents and reports.
- Conduct audits of financial systems.
- Prepare a variety of complex financial statements, reports and analyses.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Preferred: Master's degree in related field.
- Certified Public Accountant
- 7 or more years of relevant experience