Planning & Building Srvcs Div Dir
Directs, organizes, and manages the Larimer County Planning and Building Services Division. Represents the County's planning, building, and rural land use interests at federal, state, and local levels. Develops, implements, and oversees the application of building and land use codes and policies in the County. Provides highly responsible and technical staff assistance.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general guidance and supervision from the County Manager.
- Exercises direct and indirect supervision over professional, technical, and clerical staff.
- Responsible for ensuring that the Division operates in full compliance with all policies established by the Board of County Commissioners and in compliance with all administrative procedures established by the County Manager.
- Responsible for developing the mission and goals of the Division consistent with the Board of County Commissioners' mission and goals, which includes developing strategic plans aimed at meeting the mission and goals.
- Direct and provide leadership for the Division, supporting values consistent with excellent customer service and organizational effectiveness.
- Assign, direct, and supervise activities of senior staff; exercise final approval on all recruiting, hiring, and employment separation matters within the division; conduct senior level interviews and hire, train, assign work, grant leave, manage performance, and submit appropriate records and reports in accordance with County policies and procedures.
- Provide broad general direction to department heads responsible for the direction, supervision, and coordination of planning, building, and rural land use center activities.
- Act as a resource or expert in program area; provide technical guidance to less experienced staff.
- Develop and manage the budget. Review and approve expenditures.
- Develop and update the Division's annual work program; oversee progress and implementation of the Division's work program.
- Oversee administrative duties set forth in County Land Use Code; interpret applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Provide staff support to the Board of County Commissioners and other boards/commissions; in consultation with the Board, develop and implement countywide policies relative to Land Use and Development.
- Develop internal administrative policies and procedures, and assure implementation.
- Coordinate elements of the Division's work program with other County departments, municipalities, and other entities.
- Represent the County on various committees and boards related to division activities and responsibilities.
- Serve as a member of Larimer County's senior management team; review and resolve internal issues; develop and implement strategic direction for the organization; attend County meetings to represent the division before the Board of Commissioners.
- Perform special studies and projects as assigned and required.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Principles, practices, and objectives related to urban and regional planning, natural resources and the environment, and land/real estate development in a planning and building program.
- Supervisory principles, procedures, and methods including selection, training, discipline, and evaluation.
- Budget management and resource allocation according to governmental standards and procedures.
- Scope and application of federal, state, and local planning laws and regulations.
- Leadership methods and management skills.
- Administration of the county planning and building function.
- Problem solving and decision making processes.
- Software and business applications including, but not limited to, planning and building mapping and design, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation software, and databases.
- Organize material and present information clearly and concisely in verbal and written form.
- Prepare and interpret ordinances and formulate land use policies.
- Provide professional customer service to clients and public.
- Collect and analyze data and develop complex plans and reports.
- Perform effective public speaking to groups of varied interests and backgrounds.
- Act as an official representative of the County in a professional manner with local, state, and national agencies and organizations.
- Interpret and make decisions in accordance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies.
- Supervise and mentor professional and support staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Eight years of professional planning experience, including five years of administrative and supervisory experience.
- Equivalent to a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Urban and Regional Planning, or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).
- Completion of Systematic Development of Informed Consent (SDIC) training.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.