Office Assistant TEMP
Performs a wide variety of routine and general office support and customer service activities within assigned department or division. Performs functions typically under the supervision of or in support of other administrative positions.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives immediate supervision typically from an administrative or professional supervisor.
- Exercises no supervision.
- Perform customer service and reception duties for the department; provide general and routine information; direct callers and visitors to appropriate department or person; take written messages.
- Issue, receive, type, and process various standardized applications, permits, and other forms; review received forms for completeness; answer routine procedural questions regarding the same; calculate and collect fees.
- Open, sort, and file hardcopy or computer file documents and records; update general information for further processing and maintenance of records; maintain alphabetical, index, numerical, and cross-reference files and filing systems.
- Enter and retrieve data in simple spreadsheets and databases according to established procedure; proof entered data; prepare simple tabular reports.
- Type and proofread a variety of standardized, routine documents and correspondence including interoffice memos, handwritten correspondence, administrative forms, and simple rough draft reports; update departmental lists.
- Prepare packets of information including binding, stapling, and copying in accordance with specific instruction, distribute packets to appropriate persons including mass mailings.
- Operate routine office equipment to support operations of the department/division including copiers, fax machines, telephone systems, and computers.
- Receive, sort, and process incoming or outgoing mail; distribute mail to office personnel.
- Schedule appointments for meeting rooms and staff.
- Order and maintain office supplies.
- Perform errands or other general assistance in support of a department/division and its personnel.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Operation of standard office equipment including fax machines, copiers, and computers.
- Simple arithmetic calculations including subtraction, addition, multiplication, and division.
- Routine software and business applications including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Modern office practices and procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Read and comprehend department and County rules, regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures.
- Provide professional customer service to clients and public.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Perform typing functions within required words per minute.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- No experience to one year of experience in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities within an office or customer service environment.