Larimer County Offices, Courts, District Attorney, Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste, and Recycle Center are all closed on Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2015.
County Offices are also closed on Friday, November 27 while the Courts, District Attorney, Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste, and Recycle Center are open.
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Develops and implements nutritional care plans for clients in public health programs; provides nutrition counseling; coordinates with other agencies to achieve program goals and objectives.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Nutrition Supervisor.
- Exercises direct supervision over WIC Educators, volunteers, and student interns.
- Develop individual care plans for high-risk clients, assist clients in establishing nutrition goals, and evaluation.
- Provide nutrition counseling to clients and provide referrals to other agencies or professionals.
- Perform anthropometric screening of clients.
- Assess community needs for nutrition education programs; develop and make educational presentations to community groups and department nursing and nutrition staff; assist in evaluation of nutrition education programs.
- May conduct parent nutrition classes for Human Services program clients and breastfeeding classes for WIC clients.
- Participate in the selection, preparation, and review of nutrition related educational materials.
- Act as resource or expert in program area, providing technical guidance to less experienced staff, and as a nutrition consultant to the health department and other community agencies as assigned.
- Participate in various committees and boards related to program activities and responsibilities.
- Assist in the supervision of baccalaureate and graduate nutrition student interns.
- Assist WIC Nutrition staff with Electric breast pump loan program.
- May maintain statistical reports on clients for state reporting, budget preparation, and to meet local guidelines.
- Act as a liaison to community agencies.
- Attend Department, Program, and professional meetings.
- Maintain Registered Dietitian status with the ADA's Commission on Dietetic Registration by attending pertinent nutrition workshops, conferences, and/or other activities as prescribed by the Professional Portfolio process for obtaining CPEU's (Continuing Education units).
- Attend Dietetic Association and community nutrition meetings to facilitate networking and exchange of information.
- Exercise direct, first-level supervision of positions, employees, operations, and activities of assigned WIC/Nutrition clinic locations; may include coordinating staff training, assigning and reviewing work, participating in the interview and selection process, making recommendations impacting pay, status, and disciplinary action, evaluating performance independently or in conjunction with a higher-level supervisor/manager, and approving time off.
- Promote community awareness of program services through preparing informational and educational materials, coordinating community outreach, and conducting presentations to the public and community groups.
- Assist in the development of program plans, policies, standards, and procedures in compliance with state and federal rules and regulations.
- Implement new policies and procedures; interpret local, state, and federal policies and regulations.
- Perform quality assurance by monitoring nutrition education, chart documentation, and clinic activities.
- Manage client caseload statistics and assess and review activities to increase caseload to capacity.
- Provide clinic coverage as needed.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
Current principles and practices of human nutrition in general health and disease in public health programs. Qualifications:
- Pediatric, maternal, and lactation nutrition.
- Effective counseling and education concepts and methods.
- Community needs and resources.
- Routine software and business applications including word processing, presentation software, and databases.
- Cultural practices and differences.
- Prepare educational materials and prepare and deliver in-service trainings.
- Assess client's nutritional needs, develop individual nutrition and health plans, and counsel clients in diet/nutrition practices.
- Assess community needs and develop and implement nutrition education programs.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Perform basic data entry tasks.
- Supervise and mentor paraprofessional and support staff in a productive and positive manner.
- Supervisory principles, procedures, and methods including selection, training, discipline, and evaluation.
- Scope and application of laws and regulations pertaining to public health, WIC, and nutrition programs.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Food Science, Nutrition, or a related field. Completion of the WIC Certification Program.
- Breastfeeding Coordinator: At least 20 hours of training in breastfeeding promotion and support.
- Two years of experience in a directly related field, or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities including program development.
- Must be a registered dietitian (RD) through Commission on Dietetic Registration and maintain registration status by completing the required American Dietetic Association CPEUs (Continuing Education units) for each applicable five-year reporting period.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- Ability to pass Levels I, II, and III of the WIC Certification Program within 18 months of employment.
- Ability to complete the State of Colorado WIC computer training.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills preferred.