Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Parts of the Larimer County Virtual Courthouse website may be unavailable during maintenance on Tuesday, June 30 from 5 - 7 p.m.
Maintenance Technician III
This position is responsible for building, facility, grounds, and reservoir maintenance programs for assigned parks and open lands managed by Larimer County. This includes aspects of maintenance and repair of all buildings, facilities, grounds, campgrounds, cabins, visitor services buildings, boat docks, buoy's, and other related facilities. This also includes all aspects of tree, shrub, and lawn care, weed control, and other related landscaping needs. Supervises seasonal workers engaged in grounds and facilities maintenance, landscaping, and construction projects. Also supervises volunteers. This is the advanced level in the Maintenance Technician class series. Positions in this class are assigned a full range of maintenance duties and are expected to carry out the more complex or technically advanced assignments with minimal supervision. This position may supervise other lower level maintenance workers.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from higher-level management and/or supervisory personnel.
- May supervise full time employees.
- Supervises seasonal employees and volunteers.
- Perform and oversee maintenance and repair on vehicles, boats, boat docks, equipment, cabins, restrooms, water facilities, visitor services buildings, and other related facilities.
- May exercise direct, first-level supervision of positions, employees, operations, and activities within the assigned unit ; may include coordinating staff training, assigning and reviewing work, participating in the interview and selection process, making recommendations impacting pay, status, and disciplinary action, evaluating performance independently or in conjunction with a higher-level supervisor/manager, and approving time off.
- Make routine purchases necessary for daily operations.
- Plan and schedule work assignments for crews; ensure equipment and supplies are available, including proper safety equipment
- Maintain related records and reports.
- Assist in fabricating and constructing park facilities which may include boat docks, park shelters, picnic tables, park signs, fire grates, campsites, parking areas, small buildings, remodeling, utility lines, facilities, and other similar projects.
- Estimate the time, materials, and cost of projects and assist in developing project time lines; resolve related construction problems and adjust plans and specifications as needed to accommodate field conditions; assist in layout and survey of sites and calculate dimension and leveling of the architectural elements of structures and landscapes.
- Operate and train other employees on the use of a variety of heavy and light equipment including mowers, chainsaws, tractors, backhoes, boats, and trash compactors.
- Provide information and directions to the public.
- Obtain quotes and prepare formal bids in accordance with County purchasing procedures for materials and services; monitor, inspect, and approve work of private contractors; negotiate contracts with private contractors to perform needed work; maintain inventories of supplies and materials; make purchases within authority.
- Supervise and assist assigned staff with proper techniques for planting, staking, watering, fertilizing, pruning, etc., of tress and shrubs and seeding, watering, and fertilizing of turf areas throughout all park areas.
- Inspect and perform complex maintenance tasks involving mechanical, electrical, carpentry, plumbing, and general construction tasks, to include repair of windows, walls, doors, floors, ceilings, outlets, plumbing fixtures, air conditioning and heating systems, painting, dry wall, etc.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Methods, materials, techniques, tools, and the operational characteristics of mechanical equipment used in park maintenance, facility repair and construction, and related vehicle and equipment repair.
- General principles of electrical wiring, plumbing, masonry, carpentry, welding, vehicle mechanics, and horticultural principles.
- Hazards associated with the associated work and the use of proper safety precautions.
- Knowledge of landscaping practices including lawn, tree, and shrub care.
- Park maintenance, work-related hazards, and proper safety precautions.
- Basic principles of First Aid and CPR.
- Supervisory principles, procedures, and methods including selection, training, discipline, and evaluation.
- Scope and application of laws and regulations pertaining to park operations.
- Basic recordkeeping and reporting procedures.
- Perform a variety of skilled tasks in park grounds, facility, and equipment maintenance.
- Supervise full time and seasonal employees and volunteers.
- Assist in training and supervision of personnel and volunteers engaged in equipment operation, park maintenance operations, and construction projects.
- Operate safely a variety of equipment used in park maintenance work.
- Take appropriate action in emergency situations.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Prepare and maintain routine records and interdepartmental reports.
- Act as a resource or expert in program area, providing technical guidance to less experienced staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Three years of experience in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities.
- High School diploma or GED required supplemented by specialized training in equipment maintenance, park facilities, horticulture, or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain CPR and First Aid certifications by date of hire.
- Possession of, and ability to maintain, a Colorado Class "B" CDL.