Landfill Assistant Manager
Assists in planning, organizing, directing and reviewing the work of a crew engaged in the operation and maintenance of the County landfill and related facilities. Assists the Landfill Manager in performing a wide variety of supervisory and administrative duties. Performs complex landfill maintenance work and promotes safety on County landfill property.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Landfill Manager.
- Exercises direct supervision over assigned landfill staff.
- Exercise direct, first-level supervision of positions, employees, operations, and activities within the Landfill; may include coordinating staff training, assigning and reviewing work, participating in the interview and selection process, and making recommendations impacting pay, status, and disciplinary action; evaluating performance independently or in conjunction with a higher-level supervisor/manager; and approving time off.
- Operate heavy equipment used at a landfill in a safe, efficient and responsible manner, including compactor, track loader, dozer, road grader, and scraper.
- Excavate fill dirt and stockpile various commodities.
- Design area where trash is to be deposited.
- Blade and grade access roads; push snow; level fill dirt over trash platform.
- Inspect equipment for broken, missing, or worn parts; perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Act as a resource or expert in program area, providing technical guidance to less experienced staff.
- Survey baselines, gridlines and final grades in accordance with landfill plans.
- May assume supervisor duties for Landfill Manager on a temporary basis and as assigned.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Safe work practices and procedures.
- Solid waste management practices.
- Principles of basic surveying.
- Supervisory principles, procedures, and methods including training, discipline, selection and evaluation.
- Operate a variety of landfill equipment.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Read and interpret plans and specifications. Perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Supervise and mentor professional and support staff in a productive and positive manner.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Work weekends
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Two years of experience in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities.
- High School diploma or GED required supplemented by training in landfill management.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid CDL.
- Certification as Manager of Landfill Operations or ability to obtain certification within one year of employment.No other information.