Jail Maintenance Operations Specialist
Coordinates the activities of maintenance or construction activities and performs skilled and technical maintenance involving electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other trades to ensure proper alteration, repair, and maintenance of the Larimer County Jail equipment, buildings, and grounds. Supervises inmate workers to provide building cleaning and maintenance. Maintains and repairs heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment in accordance with diagrams, operating manuals, and manufacturer's specifications.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Jail Maintenance Manager.
- Exercises direct supervision over inmate labor force and outside contractors, provides indirect supervision to Jail Maintenance Workers.
- Assign, direct, and supervise activities of assigned staff and inmate labor, ensuring adherence to established policies, procedures, and standards; make recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting staff, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, appraising performance, and submitting such records and reports as required by County policies and procedures.
- Perform preventive maintenance and repairs to cooling systems, heating systems, plumbing systems, boilers, pumps, fans, filters, and other mechanical equipment.
- Calibrate controls, replace bearings and shafts, rewire equipment, fabricate and install sheet metal, and retrofit new components to existing equipment.
- Interpret engineering drawings and equipment manuals.
- Coordinate maintenance/construction activities; inspect and perform complex maintenance tasks involving HVAC, mechanical, electrical, carpentry, and plumbing tasks.
- Analyze operational problems and initiate major maintenance of malfunctioning equipment and electrical systems.
- Operate, maintain, adjust, and repair a wide variety of equipment, including kitchen equipment, laundry equipment, CCTV, electro mechanical doors and locks, intercom system, HVAC, electrical, and mechanical systems.
- Follow safety measures applicable to any crafts or trades, as well as general Jail safety precautions and practices.
- Prepare reports or other documentation required as a part of assigned duties; complete and maintain records, logs, and reports.
- Receive and pick up supplies.
- Administer first aid in emergency situations.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Principles, methods, tools, and equipment relative to all major trades, such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and mechanical.
- Safe use and maintenance of a variety of power and hand tools.
- Methods, materials, and equipment used in building and grounds maintenance and repair.
- Safe work practices.
- Gather, assemble, analyze, evaluate, and use facts and evidence.
- Operate and maintain a variety of custodial and maintenance equipment; use and care for tools, supplies, and materials required in the work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Use office automation systems, including basic proficiency with computer applications such as e-mail, word processor, spreadsheet and database look-up and/or entry.
- Perform skilled journey-level maintenance and repair work in the plumbing, mechanical, HVAC, electrical, and carpentry trade areas.
- Operate voltmeter (analog and digital), ammeter, digital thermometer, electronic sight glass, and leak detector.
- Read and understand blueprints, construction drawings, and schematics.
- Follow Jail security policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse population to include inmates, criminal justice agency personnel, other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Three years experience performing a variety of responsible building maintenance work involving mechanical, HVAC, electrical, carpentry, and plumbing tasks; work in a corrections or detention environment preferred.
- High School diploma or GED supplemented by specialized courses in building construction and maintenance.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR and First Aid certifications by date of hire.
- Must have acceptable eyesight to perform janitorial and maintenance duties; must be able to clearly distinguish specific colors and shades and hues of colors.
- Must have appropriate voice skills to be clearly understood on the telephone, radio, and in public contacts.
- Must have acceptable hearing to hear well on the telephone, radio, and in public contacts.
- Must be able to sit, stand, or walk for long periods of time; must be able to walk up and down stairs.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, stretch, twist, reach, kneel, crawl, squat, climb, and balance.
- Must be able to make repairs on doors, windows, floors, lockers, gates, roofs, and ceilings; install, maintain, and repair plumbing systems and a variety of plumbing fixtures, such as faucets, sinks, toilets, and water heaters; maintain boilers and air conditioning systems.
- Must be able to lift, carry, drag, or push, both alone and with help; must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Must be able to push or pull to manually open or shut heavy doors while carrying tools or equipment.
- Must be able to climb ladders, scaffolds, or stairways.
- Must be able to climb through small openings and crawl or maneuver in small confined areas.
- Must be able to work in hazardous or dangerous work areas or situations.
- Must be able to engage in physically strenuous activities to perform maintenance duties, including operating equipment and fire extinguishers or other fire equipment.
- Must have fine and expanded motor skills; hand dexterity; full use of fingers, hands, and arms; good grip strength; and good hand/eye coordination to perform maintenance duties, operate tools and equipment, etc.
- May be subjected to caustic, flammable, or other hazardous materials.
- Must be capable of working under stressful situations.
- Must have good cognitive skills and awareness of work accuracy.
- Must have ability to concentrate on more than one task at a time and to make independent decisions.