Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Fraud Investigator I
Performs technical work in the prevention, detection, investigation, and prosecution of fraud in diverse human services public assistance programs. Prepares and submits cases to law enforcement and civil authorities for criminal and civil actions.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives immediate supervision from a professional level supervisor or program manager.
- Exercises no supervision.
- Conduct research and review of case files, evidence, and applicable rules and regulations to determine support of allegations and charges of public assistance fraud or abuse.
- Conduct interviews to obtain information, evidence, written statements, and collateral contacts to support fraud or abuse allegations and to verify past and current eligibility for public assistance and Human Services programs.
- Organize and prioritize evidence and prepare documents and reports including the computation of benefits overpaid to a recipient.
- Make recommendations regarding criminal or civil matters based on evidence and interviews.
- Testify in court or at hearings regarding the evidence that was found through research.
- Gather and preserve evidence in accordance with governing practices and techniques.
- Complete and maintain records, logs, and reports including the effective management of an ongoing caseload which includes organizing, prioritizing, and effective disposition of those cases.
- Prepare affidavits for arrest warrants; issue subpoenas and administrative documents.
- Conduct surveillance in conjunction with law enforcement.
- Assist law enforcement agencies with arresting recipients charged with fraud.
- Attend seminars, conferences, workshops, classes, lectures, etc., as appropriate, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in field; review professional journals, attend association and professional meetings; and otherwise maintain contacts with professionals to facilitate exchange of information.
- Assist in the negotiation of criminal or civil pleas including arrangements for repayment of any money owed to the agency.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Methods and techniques of research, data collection, and criminal and civil investigations.
- Scope and application of federal, state, and County laws and regulations pertaining to public assistance fraud and recovery.
- Court decisions affecting current cases.
- Make decisions that may have a negative effect on the individuals involved in case.
- Organize material and present information clearly and concisely in verbal and written form.
- Act as an official representative of the County in a professional manner with local, state, and national agencies and organizations.
- Apply laws, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Review records from a variety of sources to determine facts on individual cases.
- Accomplish the assigned workload in a timely manner and meet established performance standards and objectives.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Two years of experience in a legal environment, a directly related field, or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities.
- Equivalent to an Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Police Science, Criminal Justice, or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.