Fairgrounds & Events Center Director
Directs all aspects of the Larimer County Fair, Fairgrounds, and Events Center.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from Public Works Division Director.
- Exercises direct supervision Fair Manager.
- Oversee all operations and activities associated with Larimer County Fairgrounds and Events Center.
- Supervise Fairgrounds and Events Center staff, including administrative, operations, and maintenance personnel.
- Prepare, recommend, and administer an annual budget for the Fairgrounds and Events Center including personnel, operations, maintenance, and short and long range capital replacement and improvements.
- Monitor expenses and revenue to assure conformity with the approved budget and to ensure the facilities are, to the greatest extent possible, self-sustaining.
- Develop goals, plans, and performance measurements for all operations activities associated with the Fairgrounds and Events Center.
- Administer contracts with consultants, contractors, and vendors for a variety of services including marketing, facilities operation and management, concessions, and fundraising.
- Coordinate with the Larimer County Budget, Finance, and Facilities departments for the completion of Phase 1 improvements and the planning, design, funding, and construction of future phases.
- Identify the need for new or revised policies and procedures associated with the Fairgrounds and Events Center; draft and recommend policies and procedures; and is responsible for implementation and monitoring.
- Work closely with the Larimer County Extension Office, Fair Board, and 4-H groups in planning and conducting the annual Larimer County Fair and related activities.
- Promote Fairgrounds and Events Center activities with civic and business groups, local governments, corporations, and potential sponsors and users of the facilities.
- Provide periodic updates on Fairgrounds and Events Center activities to the Board of County Commissioners and County Manager.
- Serve as a member of the Public Works Division management team.
- Attend meetings, conferences, and workshops as requested and authorized.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Principles, practices, procedures, and materials used in the administration and operations of a modern, multi-use, year-round fairgrounds and entertainment complex hosting fairs, rodeos and equestrian shows, sporting events such as minor league hockey, concerts, trade shows, conventions, and expositions.
- Facility marketing and sales, ticketing procedures, security and crowd control operations, food and beverage activities, events coordination, and cost control and accounting.
- Budget and financial management procedures and techniques.
- Contract negotiations, preparation, and administration.
- General public administration principles and processes.
- Plan, develop, and operate meeting, conference, convention, recreation, and entertainment facilities and improvements.
- Plan, organize, prioritize, motivate, train, supervise, and evaluate the work of others.
- Establish program goals and objectives and short- and long- range plans.
- Prepare accurate and reliable reports containing budget projections, revenues, expenditures, capital replacement and capital replacement plans, including findings and recommendations.
- Operate a personal computer using word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications appropriate to assigned duties.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing with a wide variety of audiences.
- Quickly learn and put to use new skills and technologies in the areas of management and communication.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Public Administration, Business Administration, Hotel or Resort Management, Finance, or a related field.
- Seven to ten years experience in facilities management, preferably with a fairgrounds and entertainment complex including three to five years experience in a top level management position.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
Must be able to:
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, to permit the employee to communicate effectively in a variety of settings.
- Sufficient vision, with or without reasonable accommodation, to permit the employee to observe Fairgrounds & Events Center operations and events on a constant basis and to prepare and review information in electronic and hard copy forms.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, to permit the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone, and other electronic devices.
- Sufficient personal mobility, with or without reasonable accommodation, to permit the employee to travel around the Fairgrounds & Events Center, other County offices, other locations throughout the County, and occasional travel outside the County.