Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Plans, organizes, and directs environmental programs dealing with education, public information, marketing, and public involvement. This is a journey level position.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receive general supervision from the Solid Waste Director.
- Supervises part time Education Center Attendant and volunteers.
- Design, implement, and manage environmental education and information programs and marketing campaigns related to solid waste management.
- Develop and produce educational videos in conjunction with local production companies.
- Conduct education center, recycling center, landfill, and household hazardous waste facility tours.
- Give solid waste presentations to diverse audiences.
- Coordinate special events.
- Organize and conduct media events and news conferences; maintain media relationships; write press releases.
- Prepare and disseminate educational and informational materials such as flyers, newsletters, brochures, etc.
- Maintain Garbage Garage Education Center at landfill; update displays periodically.
- Represent Larimer County Department of Solid Waste at community events (i.e. Earth Day fairs, home shows, health and safety fairs, etc.)
- May actively solicit, write, and manage grants.
- Maintain departmental web site.
- Assist with development and management of waste reduction and waste diversion programs.
- Compile data and survey results and prepare summary reports.
- Assist with program work plan and budget preparation.
- Assist with public policy formulation and implementation.
- Work with colleagues in other organizations and government agencies on community events and educational programs.
- Edit and lay out department's annual report.
- Participate on the County's internal Green Practices Committee.
- Promote efficient recycling practices in county buildings.
- Present recycling information at monthly New Employee Orientations.
- Coordinate educational activities with Larimer County Recycling Center contractor.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Basic educational, public relations, or marketing principles.
- Working knowledge of PC-based systems including web site design and maintenance.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Speak publicly and prepare educational materials.
- Manage projects and make sound recommendations.
- Properly interpret and make decisions in accordance with laws, regulations, and policies.
- Research, prepare, and analyze data relative to area to which assigned.
- Facilitate discussions and conflict resolution among diverse groups and individuals.
- Be available for work related events on some weekends and evenings.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
li>Three years of experience in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Environmental Education, Environmental Science, or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.