Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Detention Services Specialist II
Controls access to and movement within the Detention Center. Screens all incoming personnel. Monitors visually and auditorially all activities within the Detention Center. Monitors fire alarms. Operates the CCIC/NCIC computer system.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
When assigned to the Booking Room, performs the following functions:
- Receives general supervision from supervisor or sworn personnel.
- May exercise indirect supervision over lower-level positions or may function as a Field Training Officer.Both visually and auditorially monitor activities throughout the facility via closed circuit cameras and intercoms.
- Control inmate and public access and movement into and within the facility.
- Operate detention security doors by means of remote control.
- Utilize packsets and base radio to relay messages and ensure communication between personnel is received and understood; ensure all communications are brief, concise, and clear by using proper grammar.
- Utilize public address system to verbally notify persons without radios, make general announcements, and announce emergencies, as appropriate.
- Maintain master keys and other duplicate keys in control room and monitor their use by authorized personnel via a key log.
- Operate CCIC/NCIC computer for teletypes, queries, entries, and cancellations of records related to vehicles, persons, or articles of interest.
- Ensure all equipment is operable; report maintenance problems.
- Answer telephones and take independent action as necessary.
- Monitor fire annunciator status board and deal with any alarms as necessary.
- Perform extensive computer work and a variety of other clerical duties as required.
- Brief oncoming Detention Services Specialists concerning activities during previous shift.
- Maintain accuracy, confidentiality, and security of all records and work area.
- Communicate effectively and coherently with inmates, professional visitors, and the public by providing information and directions.
- Conduct visual and audio surveillance of inmates for extended periods of time.
- Maintain inventory of supplies, equipment, and forms.
- Assist in training new Detention Services Specialists.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Perform crisis intervention functions to include suicide prevention observation and recognizing abnormal behavior and obtaining intervention assistance as appropriate.
- Perform searches of mail items, objects capable of concealing contraband, and building and large outdoor areas.
- Perform review and maintenance of release, pretrial, court, and other files and documents related to booking activities.
- Provide customer service within the Booking area including providing information to interested parties, collecting fees and documents, and taking in and releasing property.
- Read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents, such as medical instructions, commitment orders, summons, and other legal writs and court documents.
- Prepare a variety of reports using appropriate grammar, spelling, and punctuation; process reports as appropriate (e.g., file, alphabetize, label, etc.)
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Correct English usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Routine software and business applications including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases.
- Operation of standard office equipment including fax machines, copiers, and computers.
- Learn to operate security and communications equipment.
- Type 35 words per minute.
- Work under stress and exercise good judgment in emergency situations.
- Perform a variety of clerical tasks such as maintaining accurate records, report preparation, and answering telephones.
- Understand and carry out verbal and written directions.
- Accurately assess situations and people.
- Communicate effectively verbally, in writing, and via various forms of electronic media.
- Use office automation systems including basic proficiency with computer applications such as e-mail, word processor, and spreadsheet and database look-up and/or entry.
- Work a rotating shift schedule to include weekends, holidays, days, and nights.
- Organization, procedures, and operating details of the Detention Center.
- Operate security and communication equipment.
- Perform duties independently without close supervision.
- Use independent judgment as to proper course of action.
- Observe accurately and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents, and places.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse population to include inmates, criminal justice agency personnel, other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- One year experience comparable to that of a Detention Services Specialist I in Larimer County.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR and First Aid certifications by date of hire.
- Must have acceptable eyesight to monitor cameras and remotely observe inmate actions.
- Must have appropriate voice skills to be clearly understood on the telephone, radio, and in public contacts. Must be able to talk extensively on the intercoms, phones, and radios.
- Must have acceptable hearing to hear well on the telephone, radio, and in public contacts.
- Must be able to sit, stand, or walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to get into and out of a chair repeatedly.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, stretch, twist, reach, kneel, crawl, squat, climb, and balance.
- Must be able to push or pull to manually open or shut heavy doors.
- Must be able to work in hazardous or dangerous work areas or situations.
- Must be able to manually operate all switches, buttons, and dials and to perform computer duties, operate equipment, etc. Will be required to perform repetitive finger, hand, arm, and shoulder motions.
- Must be able to work under stressful situations, such as verbally responding to an emergency and handling radio traffic at the same time, dealing with irate or frantic citizens, and receiving directives from several sources.
- May be subjected to situations which are violent, distasteful, highly emotional, or representative of all levels of criminal conduct.
- Must be able to record accurate information.
- May be subjected to caustic, flammable, or other hazardous materials.
- Must have quick reactions.
- Must have good cognitive skills and awareness of work accuracy.
- Must have the ability to concentrate on more than one task at a time and to make independent decisions.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain first aid and community CPR certifications.
- Must be able to detect the presence of conditions such as smoke, unusual or excessive noise, odors, etc.
- Must be able to put on and operate a self-contained breathing apparatus and extinguish small fires by using a fire extinguisher or other appropriate means.