Larimer County Offices, Courts, District Attorney, Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste, and Recycle Center are all closed on Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2015.
County Offices are also closed on Friday, November 27 while the Courts, District Attorney, Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste, and Recycle Center are open.
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Deputy District Attorney TEMP
This is the entry level class in the Deputy District Attorney class series. Positions in this class will usually perform most of the duties required of District Attorney II but are not expected to function at the same skill level and usually exercise less independent direction and judgment on matters related to work procedures and methods. Work is usually supervised while in progress and fits and structured and established usually supervised while in progress and fits a structured and established pattern. Generally, changes in procedures exceptions are explained in detail a they arise.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
- Receive and review summons or tickets filed by arresting officers, and review and examine the evidence, witness statements, determine whether or not a crime has been committed, the nature of the crime, and whether or not the evidence justifies prosecution.
- Prepare briefs and legal opinions; conduct legal research ; prepare reports and develop recommendations related to the District Attorney's Office policies, procedures and operations.
- Represent the County in criminal calendar proceedings including the scheduling of cases, plea negotiations, probation revocation hearings, motions, and sentencings.
- Serve as prosecuting attorney for jury and court trials.
- Represent the County in evidence hearings.
- Respond to citizen complaints and requests for information.
- Perform related duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Legal principles and practices with an emphasis on criminal law.
- Court procedure and rules of evidence.
- Methods of legal research.
- Perform legal work involving the use of independent judgment.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Analyze and apply legal principles.
- Prepare proper legal instruments.
- Properly interpret and make decisions in accordance with laws, regulations, and policies.
- Investigate and prosecute civil and criminal complaints.
- Present laws, facts, and arguments clearly and logically in written and oral form.
- Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- No experience required.
- Equivalent to a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.