The Database Administrator (DBA) is primarily responsible for database and application server systems management, performance monitoring and tuning, database and application server capacity planning, and troubleshooting application problems for enterprise-wide and customer-specific databases. The DBA is responsible for providing technical and organizational leadership for the enterprise's database environments. The leadership role includes overseeing the development and organization of databases and the assessment and implementation of new database technologies. The DBA ensures that data remains consistent across all instances in the County, that data is clearly defined and documented, that appropriate County staff can readily access data in accordance with their established security roles, and that the data is fully protected through the published database backup/recovery plan and disaster recovery plan. The DBA works with the UNIX administrator and network administrators to configure and maintain the infrastructure which the databases and application servers run on. The DBA troubleshoots and assists in the correction of software performance, operations, and database connectivity problems. The DBA works closely with appropriate IT staff and Business Analysts to ensure that any DBA-managed database meets the customer's requirements for performance, data security, and data access. Application Server systems software management, upgrades, and patches are also the DBA's responsibility. The DBA may move application updates to the test and production environments.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Development DBA Function Specialty:
- Receives general supervision from the Software Support Group Manager.
- Exercises no supervision.Regularly perform or direct database administration duties in a multi-tiered multiple-operating system environment. Duties include database capacity management and resource optimization activities, databases design, installing and upgrading database and application middle-tier software, testing, tuning database applications, and maintaining database space allocations.
- Regularly perform database systems management duties that include database installation, upgrades, patch implementation, configuration and access security management, proactive monitoring and reporting, troubleshooting, and develop database control scripts and specialized software (APIs) to assist in the management of transaction processing environment.
- Work closely with Group Management, technical ITD staff, and Business Analysts to coordinate activities of database design, programming, upgrades, patches, data migration, and troubleshooting when required.
- Ensure the integrity, recovery, and availability of the database environment through standard data backup and recovery strategies and lead the execution of database disaster recovery test scenarios.
- Develop and maintain a methodology for the ongoing assessment of database performance and the identification of problem areas.
- Develop and enforce a security policy for the database environment; work with the Security Officer to verify the database security policy integrates with the overall County security plans and with customer needs.
- Train ITD staff to optimize the use of database functions in applications and consult with staff on alternative tools or procedures to produce effective high-performing applications.
- Maintain the enterprise data model of our transaction, warehouse, and spatial data environment to provide a map to the source-of-authority for enterprise data. The DBA regularly uses the enterprise data model to perform quality assurance checks of application and/or report design to ensure that the proper source-of authority for data is used.
- Document database management procedures, processes, and norms for cross-training purposes and process management.
- Participate on technical committees as required.
Support DBA Function Speciality:
- Perform quality control reviews of analysis and design of customer-developed products (reports and data extracts) to ensure that the source-of-authority for enterprise data is correct; evaluate SQL statements for performance and integrity; test data generation, editing, and loading are required processes to ensure that appropriate data is available to test applications as they are built, monitor software tests and propose corrective actions to ensure that database server performance is not compromised. The development DBA will provide tools to facilitate database testing and data refresh; work with the application team to ensure that proper methods are used to embed data access and modification logic into application programs; work with the application team to create and maintain effective database-coupled application logic-stored procedures, triggers, and user-defined functions (UDFs). The development DBA will build, test, and maintain stored procedures, triggers, and UDFs.
- Research and lead Database standards change management.
- Participate in the research and evaluation of vendor database systems, database management tools, data access methods, middle-tier database access environments, and software development tools which includes participating in beta and field testing of products.
- The Database Analyst is the chief architect of the enterprise data model of our transaction, warehouse, and spatial data environment to provide a map to the source-of-authority for enterprise data. The Development DBA will design training to educate IT and Business Analyst staff in the enterprise data dictionary, ERD, and other tools to aid in software design.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Establish, monitor, and maintain data backup and restore procedures; conduct periodic tests of restore procedures; work with developers to create and schedule after hours CRON jobs; monitor all after hours jobs (including backups) to make certain they are performing as expected and no conflicts exist between jobs; monitor database performance and capacity utilization; take corrective action as needed to improve on performance and to make certain that adequate capacity is available. This will include DB Tuning, SQL Tuning, and DB error resolution.
- Generate and maintain documentation on established DBA procedures.
- Act as technical lead on projects having to do with server performance and storage planning and implementation.
- Responsible for ownership of database connectivity capabilities (sqlnet, odbc, etc.).
- Work as a team member with application support staff as needed to resolve application problems from the DBA perspective.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with advanced programming techniques, programming languages, and server operating systems used by the County.
- Thorough knowledge of Oracle database management techniques, tools, and accepted database management processes.
- Considerable to thorough knowledge of Microsoft SQL-Server database management techniques, tools, and accepted database management processes.
- Considerable to thorough knowledge of IT development and support procedures, methods, and practices.
- Considerable to thorough knowledge and experience with current information systems and software development models including Structured Analysis, Prototyping and Rapid Application Development, and Object Oriented Analysis and Design.
- Considerable knowledge using the systems development life cycle to document and implement small or large projects.
- Considerable knowledge and experience with the principles and technologies of business systems analysis and design.
- Considerable knowledge and experience in requirements gathering techniques and tools (use case, flow charts, and business process flow diagrams).
- Considerable knowledge and experience in data modeling techniques,
- Considerable knowledge and experience with project management methods and techniques including work breakdown structure, estimating, scheduling, resource balancing, and the use of common project management software tools.
- General knowledge of federal, state, or local government business.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Read and comprehend department and County rules, regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures.
- Provide technical direction, mentoring, problem solving assistance, and database-related training to the IT Division.
- Approve, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to applications such as the installation of new databases or modifications to existing applications.
- Program, configure, manage, tune performance, and maintain the operation of complex relational databases.
- Proactively monitor, maintain, and upgrade the development, test, and production database and middle-tier application server environment.
- Interpret data models and to develop database structures.
- Use standard diagramming techniques to design and develop application data models.
- Develop and manipulate large, complex data sets.
- Perform advanced software program debugging, data analysis, and system analysis.
- Recognize, analyze, and provide solutions to difficult information technology problems.
- Partner with cross-functional and technical team members to successfully implement large, complex information systems and technology projects.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with all levels of management, technical, and non-technical staff.
- Organize and manage personal time to successfully complete tasks and projects.
- Report accurate project status and project time expenditures to management as required.
- Proficient in use of personal computers and all software standards in use by Larimer County including Current Personal Computer Standard, Support Central Work Request Management System, MS Windows 2000 or XP, Visio Flowcharting, Current MS Office Suite, Project Management Software - MS-Project, Groupwise E-mail, IT System Development Life Cycle, and Internet Explorer or current standard.
- Proficiency in applying the advanced functions of the following tools and systems are required to support development of large and/or complex systems: Advanced Structured Query Language (SQL) and current extensions, Oracle and MS-SQL Server Database management tools and techniques, 4GL Software development and maintenance tools (ex. Visual Basic, PL-SQL, MS-Access, TOAD), Server Operating Systems (current Windows, Solaris), Software Development Platform tools (Oracle internet development application services suite), Unix command line functions, commands, batch environment, File storage systems (NTFS, NFS, Samba), Backup/storage systems, Storage architectures (NAS, SAN), Spatial Data integration components (ESRI SDE, Oracle Spatial Component), and Data modeling tools and repository. (Oracle Designer).
- Understanding the advanced functions of at least 2 of the following tools are preferred to properly support the application development environment: 3GL software development web tools (Java, XML, SOAP), Data reporting and extract tools (ex. Crystal Reports), Middleware data integration products, and Web Application Development Tools (HTML and current extensions, Macromedia Development Environment (CF, Flash, etc.)
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Over four years of progressive responsibility with Database Administration and Management.
- Over six years experience in developing large and/or complex information systems using development tools used at Larimer County.
- Familiarity with advanced features and commands of existing operating system job control products and/or language is required.
- Familiarity with Oracle E-Business Suite and the patching and upgrade process is considered a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field is required.
- Oracle Database Administrator Professional Certification (or equivalent).
- MS SQL Server Database Administrator Professional Certification (or equivalent).