Perform statistical and analytical research to provide crime related information.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from a departmental/division manager.
- Exercises no supervision.Use computer applications and information from a wide variety of sources to prepare reports, presentations, and maps providing information and analysis of crime data and crime patterns for use by department personnel, citizens, businesses, and community groups.
- Evaluate data and analyze crime data from databases defining crime trends; use statistical methodology to organize and report data; identify and report crime patterns and trends.
- Prepare statistics, data queries, or maps on demand; analyze beat and shift configurations; prepare information for community or court presentations; answer questions from the public and the press.
- Develop and perform journey-level professional and technical duties associated with systematically examining recent crime incidents in an effort to identify crime patterns and characteristics to permit the effective deployment of investigative and patrol personnel utilizing effective strategies and tactics.
- Develop reports on trends and patterns of criminal activity and anticipated criminal activity for purposes of apprehensions, prevention, and deployment.
- Write reports and correspondence with a demonstrated ability to articulate methodologies, prepare executive summaries, and be able to provide sufficient empirical data to justify statistical findings.
- Collect and analyze statistical and other data characteristics for crime occurrences.
- Prepare graphic illustrations as required for both in-house personnel and for public release.
- Ability to present and communicate clearly to large groups of people at all levels of the criminal justice system.
- Assist with organizational and operations activities.
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of training materials.
- Conduct special studies and assignments.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Operation of standard office equipment including fax machines, copiers, and computers.
- Modern office practices and procedures.
- Geographic information systems (GIS) techniques.
- Relational database structures.
- Writing structured query language (SQL) queries and Crystal Reports against complex databases.
- Use Microsoft© Office Professional 2007 products.
- Analyze information and determine patterns and trends.
- Work independently.
- Plan and implement multiple large and/or complex projects.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally, in writing, and via various forms of electronic media.
- Read and comprehend department and County rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and standard operation procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Some law enforcement experience preferred.
- Experience performing statistical analysis.
- High School Diploma or GED, supplemented by specialized training in Statistical Analysis, Database Mining, Data Querying and Data Analysis software, Administration of Justice, Police Science, Public or Business Administration, or a related field.
- Have acceptable hearing to hear well on the telephone and have appropriate voice skills to be clearly understood on telephone.
- Have acceptable eyesight and must have use of arms, hands, and fingers to perform computer duties.
- Work under stressful situations, such as receiving directives from several sources.
- Have good cognitive skills, awareness of work accuracy, ability to concentrate on more than one task at a time, and make independent decisions.
- Stoop, bend, stretch, twist, reach, kneel, squat, and balance.
- Ability to differentiate color.