Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Plans, directs, and administers the activities of the Larimer County Engineering Department. Administers all departmental activities that include a wide variety of complex and responsible professional engineering work in the planning, design, investigation, and construction of public works programs and projects. Reviews and permits activities associated with proposed development. Permits utility and access work in the County right-of-way. Improves district projects, floodplain management, long- and short-range planning, and traffic control and safety. Provides responsible staff assistance in technical engineering matters and supervises the work of assigned staff.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Public Works Division Director.
- Exercises direct and indirect supervision of professional, technical and clerical personnel in the department.Assign, direct and supervise activities of assigned staff, ensuring adherence to established policies, procedures and standards. Administer or make recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting subordinates, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, assigning work, scheduling work hours, granting leave, appraising performance, disciplining and submitting such records and reports as required by County Policies and Procedures.
- Oversee the planning, administration and implementation of a comprehensive public works engineering design and construction program, including short-range and long-range improvement plans for County roads and bridges.
- Oversee the formation and administration of public improvement districts and local improvement districts including annual budgeting and accounting of expenditures for such districts.
- Assist and advise the Public Works Director in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and procedures. Make recommendations to the Public Works Director on improving the efficiency, effectiveness and productivity of Public Works services.
- Coordinate implementation of policies with other departments and agencies; formulate and implement guidelines and methodologies for working with the general public and other public agencies.
- Act as an official representative of the County in a professional manner with local, state, and national agencies and organizations.
- Develop projections of future departmental needs and budget requirements.
- Enforce County ordinances and appropriate state and federal laws, codes and regulations related to the engineering function.
- Negotiate and manage contracts for service and make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners for Board action.
- Represent the Engineering Department at meetings with the Board of County Commissioners or other County boards and commissions; provide input and make recommendations.
- Develop and monitor the annual departmental budget.
- Perform technical work in the planning, designing and reviewing of various engineering projects.
- Prepare a variety of departmental reports, memoranda, agenda and statistical records.
- Supervise and mentor professional and support staff in a productive and positive manner; work with supervisors to ensure appropriate training of departmental staff.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Standard and advanced principles and practices of civil engineering, transportation/land use planning, drainage, flood control and environmental management as applied to public works or civil engineering.
- Project management and construction principles; public communication and issue resolution techniques; procurement and contracting procedures and policies.
- Survey and construction methods and equipment.
- Operation of a personal computer and related software such as word processing, spreadsheet, database and e-mail.
- Contract development and administration.
- Appropriate County codes, ordinances and regulations regarding public works facilities and systems.
- Principles of personnel supervision, training and evaluation.
- Procedures and techniques of budget preparation and administration.
- Standard computer word processing, spreadsheet and database applications as well as computer aided design (CAD) and geographic information system (GIS) applications.
- Organize, direct, plan and supervise technical and administrative functions of the Engineering Department.
- Enforce County ordinances and appropriate state and federal laws, codes and regulations.
- Understand and administer public works related contracts; supervise the work of contractors and consultants, and monitor contractual agreements to ensure compliance.
- Assist and advise staff in technical civil engineering matters.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Respond to citizen inquiries and complaints in a tactful, courteous manner.
- Review and understand engineering plans, drawings and blueprints.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate assigned staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Twelve years of increasingly responsible experience in the performance and administration of Civil Engineering activities, including at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Possession of a valid certificate of registration as a Professional Engineer issued by the State of Colorado.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.