Manages the County Attorney Office and supervises legal staff in providing legal services to Larimer County departments and the Board of Commissioners.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Receives general direction from the Board of County Commissioners.
- Exercises general guidance over professional and clerical staff. Serves as legal counsel to the Board of County Commissioners, County Manager, and other county government agents as authorized.
- Researches, analyzes and interprets legal documents and matters.
- Evaluates complex legal issues; advises appropriate County personnel on recommended or required courses of action; issues legal opinions on behalf of the county; assists county department with legal inquiries or problems.
- Represents the Board of County Commissioners and other designated county government parties in complex litigation; prepares cases and initiates and defends the county and its agents in legal disputes; prepares cases for litigation; represents the county in court proceedings in courts of original jurisdiction and appellant courts.
- Reviews, evaluates and drafts complex contractual agreements on behalf of the county; interprets contract provisions; Drafts policies, regulations and resolutions.
- Represents county management parties as necessary in employee appeals.
- Carries out supervisory responsibility in accordance with County policies, procedures and applicable laws including: interviewing, hiring and training, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Plans, allocates, and monitors time, people, equipment, and other resources for the County Attorney's Office to ensure efficient organization and completion of work.
- Provides information, advice, feedback, or assistance to others within the department to refine work outputs or resolve problems.
- Represents the County at various functions such as making speeches at civic and business associations, meeting with influential persons within the community, developers, officials, citizens, and representatives of the press, to establish goodwill and resolve/respond to issues.
- Secures, justifies, and monitors use of budgetary monies and capital.
- Monitors current, newly adopted, and proposed legislation; suggests changes in legislation; lobbies for legislation and represents the County as an expert witness as requested.
- Prepares ordinances, resolutions, legislation, contracts and other legal documents as required by the Board of Commissioners, County Manager or other County officials.
- Provides legal advice to selected County departments as required on a daily basis.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Thorough knowledge of and skill in statutory interpretation and legal research analyses and writing.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and Colorado state laws, rules, regulations, and procedures regarding county government.
- Organization and supervisory skills.
- Ability to exercise sound and professional judgment in conformance with County policies and procedures and ethical principles including discretion, critical, insightful, and analytical consideration of issues confronting the County Attorney office, County elected, appointed officials, and department heads.
- Must possess a high level of maturity and a professional approach to issues and problems, must show patience and tolerance when working through the multitude of issues that confront County and confronting County Attorney, within an intense and fast paced environment.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Juris Doctorate and 12 years of progressively responsible legal experience, preferably including local government legal experience.
- Member of the State Bar Association.