Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Plans, organizes, coordinates, directs, reviews, and supervises the activities of the appraisal and support staff of the Larimer County Assessor's Office. Oversees and participates in all aspects of the appraisal process.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives direction from the Deputy Assessor.
- Exercises direct and indirect supervision over appraisal, technical, and support staff.
- All essential job functions listed for the Senior Appraiser.
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures of the Assessor's Office.
- Exercise direct supervision of employees, operations, and activities within the appraisal section of the Assessor's Office; includes coordinating staff training, assigning and reviewing work of the appraisal section, and participating actively in the appraisal of commercial, residential, and vacant land within a specific area.
- Review and evaluate appraisals of staff for uniformity, consistency, accuracy, and correct values as needed.
- Perform and review complex appraisals of vacant land, single family residence, multi-unit dwellings, commercial, and industrial properties using generally accepted mass appraisal techniques.
- Defend and review appraisal findings to the general public and prepare reports for all valuation hearings as necessary.
- Screen all applicants when an appraisal job is posted and narrow the field down to a few to be interviewed, then interview and hire new employees.
- Perform annual written performance reviews of staff appraisers and any support staff.
- Discipline employees so all maintain a specific code and standard of behavior.
- Assist the public by answering questions or concerns pertaining to property value and appraisal practices.
- Analyze statistical data for the Larimer County property assessment study and assist in any auditing or reporting requirements.
- Produce reports and correspondence as required.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- State laws and court cases pertaining to the assessment of real property utilizing generally accepted mass appraisal techniques.
- Principles, methods, and factors involved in the appraisal of real property.
- County policies and directives dealing with appraisal and support staff.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Plan and direct the work of a staff engaged in appraising real property.
- Interpret state statutes and case law for the application to real time situations.
- Collect and analyze data and apply mass appraisal principles and techniques to draw logical conclusions.
- Perform advanced statistical analysis on data to arrive at solid mass appraisal values.
- Work with many different software packages on a power user level.
- Continue learning, applying the principles and techniques of mass property appraisal.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other County departments, real estate professionals, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- A Certified General Appraiser's License from the State of Colorado is desirable.
- Additional course work in management and personnel supervision.
- Additional college-level course work or specialized training in the appraisal process.
- Advanced statistical knowledge or training desirable.
- Five years of increasing responsibility in performing a variety of residential and/or commercial property appraisals.
- Extensive experience related to appraisals is required.
- Solid background with personal computers.
- Must possess all qualifications listed on the Senior Appraiser job description.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.