Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Parts of the Larimer County Virtual Courthouse website may be unavailable during maintenance on Tuesday, June 30 from 5 - 7 p.m.
Building & Code Compliance Coordinator
Performs administrative and technical duties in the assignment and coordination of building inspections and code compliance investigations work flow and work loads. Performs technical building inspections and code compliance investigations to enforce compliance with the Larimer County Building Code, Land Use Code, Rubbish Ordinance and Graffiti Ordinance.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general supervision from the Building & Code Compliance Supervisor.
- Provide lead accountability for other employees within the work unit, which may include scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, instructing/training in work methods, and providing input into hiring and performance evaluation processes.
- Coordinate and evaluate regular and recurring field inspection work for building inspectors, code compliance officers, and building services specialist, and balance work load between building inspections and code compliance investigations.
- Assist in training on field inspection procedures and code compliance processes.
- Act as a resource or expert in program area, providing technical guidance to less experienced staff.
- Respond to the more technical questions and complaints and provide information to the public and referral agencies over the phone and at the counter; explain policies and procedures on the Land Use Code, Building Code, Graffiti Ordinance and Rubbish Ordinance to current and prospective applicants to facilitate the building inspection and compliance processes; direct customers to the appropriate staff members.
- Assist with presentations to Board of County Commissioners, including project work sessions and budget issues.
- Assist in the development and coordination of code enforcement policies, procedures, and programs.
- Carry out Land Use Code, Building Code, Graffiti and Rubbish ordinances violation enforcement procedures and programs.
- Respond to complaints and investigate possible code violations concerning land use, life-safety and property issues; inspect residential and commercial buildings for compliance with building codes and regulations; provide information to property owners, general public, contractors, and County staff regarding code enforcement of County regulations, including the purpose and application of code regulations. Inspect sites to determine complaint status and gather information.
- Assist in conflict resolution between field personnel and the public, ensuring consistent administration of inspection and compliance policies.
- Research complicated code issues; explain determinations to staff, management, the public, and public officials.
- Prepare and analyze technical and administrative reports, statements, correspondence, and procedures.
- Perform on-site inspections and special investigations of existing structures, and prepare follow-up inspection reports and correspondence.
- Educate the public regarding requirements.
- Assist in identifying new Land Use Code and Building Code requirements for adoption or amendment of existing codes as needed.
- Perform enforcement duties for any other County resolutions or ordinances as assigned.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Effective supervisory techniques.
- Building codes and land use ordinances enforced by the County including the following international codes: Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Energy and Existing, as well as the Larimer County Land Use Code, Graffiti Ordinance, and Rubbish Ordinance.
- Operation, services, and activities of the Building and Code Compliance Department.
- Principles, practices, and objectives as related to building construction, safety standards, and accepted methods and materials in a building inspections program.
- Principles, practices and techniques of conducting an investigation, interviewing, and problem solving.
- Proper inspection techniques to examine the quality of work and materials, and detect deviations from plans, regulations, and standard construction practices.
- Operation of standard office equipment including fax machines, copiers, and computers.
- Routine software and business applications, including but not limited to, building and planning software, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases.
- Department and County rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and standard operation procedures.
- Analyze and make recommendations for improvements in the Division's building and code compliance procedures.
- Lead, organize and review work of staff.
- Interpret, apply, and enforce applicable Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Understand and carry out oral and written direction.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Provide professional customer service to clients and public.
- Perform duties independently without close supervision.
- Communicate tactfully and firmly with the public in difficult situations, and effectively respond to conflict situations and people in conflict.
- Make sound judgment in stressful situations.
- Prepare and make verbal presentations to small and large groups, and speak effectively before public groups and respond to questions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, including builders, engineers, and architects, and members of the community.
- High School diploma or GED required, with supplemental training in building code and/or code compliance.
- Coursework in effective supervisory techniques, or college level course work in business administration or related field is highly desirable.
- Four years successful experience working as a building inspector and/or code compliance officer within a governmental agency preferably with some supervisory experience.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within one year from the date of employment, an ICC certification in residential or commercial plumbing.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within one year from the date of employment, ICC certification in at least three or more inspection areas as an inspector in building, mechanical, electrical, combination, or plan review.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within one year from the date of employment, an ICC certification as a zoning inspector.
- Standard Office Environment