Assistant County Manager
Reporting to the County Manager, performs high level strategic planning, project management, and public representation work. Assists the County Manager in administering the short- and long-term operations of the County and its personnel. Assumes County Manager duties and responsibilities in his/her absence.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general direction from the County Manager.
- Supervises the Director of Financial Services and the Chief Information Officer.
- Work with departments on a day-to-day basis to ensure that County business is conducted in a manner that is in accordance with County polices and resolve questions arising from the interpretation of County policies.
- Supervise the Finance, Facilities and Information and Technology, Workforce Center, and Human Services Divisions/Departments of the County.
- Serve as a member and assist in the management of the Larimer County's executive management team; review and resolve internal issues; develop and implement strategic direction for the organization; attend County meetings to represent the division before the Board of Commissioners.
- Monitor legislation and the actions of the State legislature; advise County officials and managers on legislative impacts and County response; advise local and State politicians on County action and position; provide testimony as required; draft County response and policy for Board of County Commissioners.
- Attend and actively participate in Board of Commissioner meetings and functions.
- Manage the strategic planning process for the County; work with County officials to establish and implement goals, objectives, and the mission; ensure strategic plan is communicated and adhered to throughout the organization.
- Serve as a member of the budget management team; participate in department and Board budgetary meetings; ensure budget is coordinated with strategic plan.
- Act as project manager for various organization-wide projects.
- Perform special studies and research as requested.
- Participate in various committees and boards related to program activities and responsibilities.
- Assist County Manager in monitoring and managing organizational culture, perspective, and perception.
- Assume County Manager duties and responsibilities in his/her absence.
- Manage the mediation process and facilitator services for the organization.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Functions/departmental operations of County and/or public sector organizations.
- Strategic planning methods commonly used in large, complex organizations.
- Scope and application of laws and regulations pertaining to applicable local, state, and federal programs and organizations.
- Leadership methods and management skills.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Read and comprehend department and County rules, regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures.
- Act as an official representative of the County in a professional manner with local, state, and national agencies and organizations.
- Exercise organizational and analytical skills.
- Communicate effectively on behalf of the Board with other elected and appointed officials and with other public or private organizations and individuals.
- Organize material and present information clearly and concisely in verbal and written form.
- Perform effective public speaking to groups of varied interests and backgrounds.
- Perform facilitation services.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in the management of a public or private organization.
- Equivalent to a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science, or a related field.