Larimer County Offices, Courts & District Attorney are closed Friday, July 3 for Independence Day
Landfill, Hazardous Waste and Recycle Center are open Friday, July 3 but closed Saturday, July 4
Landfill Business Office are closed July 3 & 4
Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Assistant County Engineer
Performs a wide variety of complex and responsible professional engineering work in the planning, design, investigation and construction of public works programs and projects. Provides administrative staff assistance to the County Engineer.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives immediate supervision from County Engineer.
- Exercises direct supervision over assigned work groups.
- Assign, direct and supervise activities of assigned staff, ensuring adherence to established policies, procedures and standards. Administer or make recommendations for routine personnel matters affecting subordinates, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, assigning work, scheduling work hours, granting leave, appraising performance, disciplining and submitting such records and reports as required by County Policies and Procedures.
- Assist the County Engineer in management/administration of the Department by providing technical assistance as needed on any Engineering project (design or construction, traffic, floodplain and drainage, improvement districts, surveying, computer aided drafting, development review, etc.).
- Assist in the development and maintenance of short-range and long-range improvement plans for County roads and bridges; prepare and submit engineering management reports as required.
- Manage development of standards for design and construction of roads and bridges, drainage, and projects from other Public Works Division Departments.
- Assist in the formulation and implementation of guidelines for design and construction of land development infrastructure and methodology; work with in-house development review team in reviewing land use proposals and make recommendations relating to road alignments, grades, drainage, lot access, etc.
- Assist in formulation and implementation of broad policy guidelines for addressing land development related engineering issues and provide a link between regional transportation planning efforts and day-to-day development review.
- Act as a resource or expert in program area, providing technical guidance to less experienced staff.
- Participate in various committees and boards related to program activities and responsibilities.
- Coordinate implementation of policies with other departments and agencies; assist in the formulation and implementation of guidelines and methodology for working with the general public and other public agencies.
- Assist in developing projections of future departmental needs and budget recommendations; assist in developing and monitoring the operating and capital improvement budgets for department.
- Represent the Department at meetings with the Board of County Commissioners or other County boards and commissions; provide input and make recommendations.
- Oversee and coordinate the work of consulting engineers and contractors; prepare requests for proposals and conduct pre-bid and pre-construction meetings; review cost estimates and engineering calculations; prepare progress payments.
- Make recommendations to the County Engineer for hiring, terminations, or other disciplinary actions.
- Act as County Engineer during absences of County Engineer.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Methods, materials and techniques used in the construction of public works and utilities projects.
- Project management and construction principles; public communication and issue resolution techniques; procurement and contracting procedures and policies.
- Operation of a personal computer and related software such as word processing, spreadsheet, database and e-mail.
- Contract development and administration.
- Basic principles and techniques of supervision.
- Make complex engineering computations and check, design and supervise the preparation of engineering plans and studies.
- Enforce County ordinances and appropriate state and federal laws, codes and regulations.
- Supervise the work of contractors and consultants, and monitor contractual agreements to ensure compliance.
- Supervise and mentor professional and support staff in a productive and positive manner.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Ten years of experience in a directly related field or in the performance of similar duties and responsibilities
- Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Civil Engineering or a related field.
- Possession of a valid certificate of registration as a Professional Engineer issued by the State of Colorado.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.