Alternative Sentencing Director
This position is appointed by and responsible to the Larimer County Board of County Commissioners through the Criminal Justice Division Director. It is responsible for the administration of all functions of the Department.
The following statements are illustrative of the duties and responsibilities of the job. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties and responsibilities of the job at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Receives general guidance from the Criminal Justice Division Director.
- Exercises direct supervision over professional, technical, clerical, and temporary staff and volunteers and interns.
- Plan, organize, direct, and administer comprehensive programs and services for offenders in Alternative Sentencing.
- Develop and administer the annual budget; assure the receipt of revenues for each of the divisions.
- Participate as an active member on a variety of Criminal Justice and Community Boards.
- Coordinate the department services and programs with other County departments and divisions, community groups, and other outside agencies.
- Develop departmental policies and procedures; interpret federal, state, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations for department staff and the public.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of each program and monitor the quality of services provided.
- Coordinate various facets of the justice systems as they relate to the programs and services.
- Attend interagency, departmental, and County Commissioners meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Principles, practices, and methods of alternative sentencing program administration.
- Procedures and techniques of budget preparation and administration.
- Principles of personnel selection, supervision, training, and evaluation.
- Principles and practices of the criminal justice system.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Read and comprehend department and County rules, regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures.
- Select, supervise, train, and evaluate assigned personnel.
- Prepare and monitor a budget.
- Understand and apply pertinent laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
- Six years of responsible administrative experience in personnel selection, supervision, training and evaluating staff, budget preparation, and administration, preferably in a correctional or human services area. Criminal Justice experience preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Social Work, Social Science, Public Administration, or a closely related field.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- SEDENTARY - Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
AUDITORY - Not Limited
- TALKING - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Talking is important for those activities in which workers must impart oral information to clients or to the public, and in those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- HEARING - perceiving the nature of sounds. Used for those activities which require ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make fine discriminations in sounds, such as when making fine adjustments on running engines.
VISION - Required
- NEAR ACUITY - - Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less. Use this factor when special and minute accuracy is demanded.
- FAR ACUITY - Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more. Use this factor when visual efficiency in terms of far acuity is required in day and night/dark conditions.
- EQUIPMENT UTILIZED: Office equipment such as computer, projector, copier, fax etc.