Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson
> 2013 Flood > FEMA/Proof of No Access Information

Flood 2013 Recovery Information

FEMA/Proof of No Access Information

Do I need to register with FEMA?

If you were impacted in any way, regardless of level or type of loss/destruction, it is important that you register with FEMA. FEMA assistance MAY be granted for:

  • Temporary housing assistance (not SBA loan dependent): Money to rent a different place to live or a temporary housing unit (when rental units are not available)
  • Repair assistance (not SBA loan dependent): Money for homeowners to repair damage from the disaster that is not covered by insurance
    • Structural parts of a home (foundation, outside walls, roof)
    • Windows, doors, floors, walls, ceilings, cabinetry
    • Septic or sewage system
    • Well or other water system
    • Heating, ventilation, air conditioning
    • Utilities (electrical, plumbing, and gas systems)
    • Entrance and exit ways from home, including privately-owned sole access roads
    • Blocking, leveling, and anchoring of a mobile home and reconnecting or resetting its sewer, water, electrical, and fuel lines and tanks
  • Replace assistance (not SBA loan dependent): Money to replace a disaster-damaged home, under rare conditions, if this can be done with limited funds. If the home is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, the homeowner must comply with flood insurance purchase requirements and local flood codes and requirements. The maximum award is $31,900.
  • Permanent or semi-permanent construction (not SBA loan dependent)
  • Other needs assistance (not SBA loan dependent): Grants for uninsured, disaster-related necessary expenses and serious needs. Flood insurance may be required on insurable items (personal property) if they are located in a Special Flood Hazard Area. Assistance includes:
    • Medical and dental expenses
    • Funeral and burial costs
    • Repair, cleaning, or replacement of:
      • Clothing
      • Household items (room furnishings, appliances)
      • Specialized tools or protective clothing and equipment required for your job
      • Necessary educational materials (computers, school books, supplies)
      • Clean-up items (wet/dry vacuum, air purifier, dehumidifier, chainsaw)
      • Fuel (fuel, firewood)
      • Repairing or replacing vehicles damaged by the disaster, or providing for public transportation or other transportation costs
      • Moving and storage expenses related to the disaster (including evacuation storage or the return of property to a home)
      • The cost of a National Flood Insurance Program group flood insurance policy to meet the flood insurance requirements for "other needs assistance"

FEMA Registration Process

There are five different ways you can register with FEMA.

  1. Online any time at
  2. Call 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY at 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 or video relay service (VRS) may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers operators are available to assist with the application process.
  3. By smartphone or tablet at
  4. At a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC)
  5. Personal, at-home visit from a FEMA representative
    FEMA representative are walking door-to-door in affected communities registering people for FEMA.
      Tips for avoiding scams:
      • Government workers will never ask for a fee or payment.
      • Government workers wear an official government photo ID.
      • Watch out for middlemen who promise you will receive disaster grants or money, especially if they ask for upfront payment.
      • There is no fee for FEMA or SBA property damage inspections.
      • Personal information is required to register for FEMA. If you are uncomfortable giving that information to ANYONE that knocks on your door, THAT IS OK. An official FEMA representative will tell you how you can register on the phone or over the internet instead.

It is helpful to have the following information handy when registering with FEMA:

  • Current telephone number
  • Address at the time of the disaster and current address
  • Social Security number, if available
  • A general list of damages and losses
  • If insured, the name of the insurance company, agent, and policy number and a bank routing number for any direct deposit

Steps to Apply for FEMA Assistance (Downloadable/printable version)

  1. Register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
  2. Receive a property inspection
  3. Receive a letter from FEMA regarding the status of the request for federal assistance
    If you have questions about the letter from FEMA, call the helpline at 800-621-3362.
  4. Some will also receive an application for a low-interest disaster recovery loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

Read Determination Letters Carefully

If you have received a determination letter of ineligibility, be sure to read the entire letter to find out why. In some cases, all the applicant needs to do is send FEMA a copy of a private insurance determination letter before the FEMA grant application can be processed.

Other reasons for a determination of ineligibility include:

  • The applicant did not sign the required documents.
  • The applicant did not prove occupancy or ownership.
  • The damage is to a secondary home or a rental property, not a primary residence.
  • Someone else in the household has also applied for and received help.
  • A FEMA housing inspector cannot reach the applicant by phone.
  • The applicant did not maintain the required flood insurance coverage for the damaged property.

Applicants who receive a determination of ineligibility letter can call the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585), or visit a DRC to find out how to appeal this decision, submit any required documents, or make changes to contact information.

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers

All disaster recovery centers in Colorado have closed permanently. Disaster survivors can call the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at (800) 621-3362 to have questions answered about their disaster assistance registration, check their application status, or update their insurance claim or contact information. A FEMA representative is available at the toll-free number from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (MST), seven days a week.

Anyone with questions concerning a loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) or for information about SBA programs, go to or call (800) 659-2955, press 2 for Spanish (TTY 1-800-977-8339).

Small businesses and most private nonprofits without physical losses have until June 16, 2014, to apply for Economic Injury Loans only.

Proof of inability to access your property/home or proof of not habitable home for FEMA

FEMA may require documentation from Larimer County that you are unable to access your home or property. If you need this documentation, contact Michelle Jenkins in the Larimer County Engineering Department at (970) 498-5719 or Include your name and property address.

If FEMA is asking you for proof that your home is not habitable, the Larimer County Building Department will provide FEMA with documentation based on information contained in damage assessments recently conducted for flood-damaged properties. If a damage assessment has not been conducted, call the Building Department at (970) 498-7699 to determine if access is available to the property and, if available, to schedule an inspection.

Replacing your important documents

If you need to replace important documents and papers lost in the recent floods, FEMA has a list of resources for obtaining duplicates of destroyed or missing documents.

FEMA news and updates

Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.