Dream Lake iced over - RMNP

County Offices, Courts, and the Landfill will all be closed on Monday, May 30, 2016 for the Memorial Day Holiday. Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.

> Departments > Engineering > Water Quality - NDPES > CDPHE Construction Permit Links   

CDPHE Construction Permit Links

Contact:   Traci Shambo    (970) 498-5701   Send E-mail

People whose construction activity disturbs an area 1 acre or greater in size are required to obtain a permit authorizing the activity. The permit is issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE). Before July 1, 2002, a permit wasn't needed if the construction activity was under five acres. The 5-acre threshold has been in effect for several years.

Aside from clearing, grading and excavation activities, disturbed areas also include areas receiving overburden (e.g., stockpiles), and areas with heavy equipment/vehicle traffic and storage. The new permit requires that a stormwater management plan be developed before the activity begins.

Application forms and information about how to design a stormwater management plan are available from the CDPHE, or you can contact them at (303) 692-3517.

This process for protecting water quality is part of a larger three-phase program called the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). The five-acre threshold was part of Phase 1 regulations, the new one-acre threshold is part of Phase 2 regulations.

Previous Page

Background Image: Dream Lake frozen over in Rocky Mountain National Park by Bryce Bradford. All rights reserved.