State Legislation and Vote Centers
In 2004, Colorado State Senator Steve Johnson (R-Larimer County) and State Representative Bob McCluskey (R-Larimer County) introduced Senate Bill 153 (SB 153). SB 153 established the legal framework permitting the use of Vote Centers for conducting an election in Colorado. The bill was signed into law by Colorado's Governor, Bill Owens in 2004.
Highlights of SB 153 include:
- Formally defining "Vote Centers"
- Establishing the authority of County Commissioners for counties implementing Vote Centers
- Requiring secure electronic connectivity for transmitting voter information
- Setting requirements based on voter population
- Requiring the consultation of major and minor political parties
- Requiring that a county's pilot use of Vote Centers does not occur in a General Election
- Requires precinct-specific reporting
Full text version of Senate Bill 153