Larimer County Mountain pass in Summer

Angela Myers

Angela Myers

County Clerk
and Recorder

Connect with


Recording & Citizen Information Center

Obtain a Marriage License:

As of 3:00 p.m., October 6, 2014, the Larimer County Clerk and Recorder's Office began accepting marriage license applications and issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples.

A marriage license can be obtained by visiting the Clerk and Recorder's office at any of our three locations. Both parties to the marriage must be present (see below for information on how to apply if both parties cannot be present), and provide valid identification:

Acceptable ID includes:
  1. Birth Certificate (must be translated if not in English)
  2. Valid Driver's License (or temporary issued with voided previous license)
  3. Passport (both expired and valid)
  4. Valid state identification card
  5. Military identification
  6. Alien Registration Card (Green card)
  7. Any U.S. government issued identification containing a photo, date of birth, issue date and expiration date
Unacceptable ID includes:
  1. Matricula Consular cards
  2. Expired drivers licenses
  3. Voter registration cards
  4. Social security cards

Save time! Apply online before you visit our office

Be sure to fill out the form completely and click "Submit" at the end of the form to proceed. *Parental information is required for all applicants.* Once the online form is completed, the parties to the marriage/civil union must finalize their application by visiting any of the Clerk and Recorder's office locations listed below and presenting valid identification.

Applications that have not been finalized will expire after 30 days.


The County presents this web site as a service to the public. We have tried to ensure that the information contained in this electronic document system is accurate. The County makes no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content at this site or at other sites to which we link. Assessing accuracy and reliability of information is the responsibility of the user.

The County shall not be liable for errors contained herein or for any damages in connection with the use of the information contained herein.

Please note: The Loveland and Estes Park locations also serve as Vehicle Licensing branch offices. Applying for a marriage license at these offices may mean longer wait times, especially on the first and last days of any month.

Our offices are located at:

Fort Collins

Clerk and Recorder's Office
Citizen Information Center
200 West Oak Street
Fort Collins, CO 80521
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.


Clerk and Recorder's Office
205 E 6th Street, 1st Floor
Loveland, CO 80537
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Estes Park

Clerk and Recorder's Office
1601 Brodie Ave
Estes Park, CO 80517
Hours: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Phone: (970) 498-7860

Before the Marriage

Prior to your ceremony, both parties to the marriage must come to our office to complete and sign the license application. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she must complete a marriage license absentee affidavit and sign it before a notary public, and include a copy of the non-appearing applicant’s identification, before it can be accepted in our office. You do not have to be a Colorado resident to apply for a marriage license.

If either party has been married or party to a civil union previously, we require the date, place and type of court where the divorce/dissolution took place. Widows/widowers need to supply the date and place of death of their former spouse.


A couple is prohibited from marrying when one of the parties is still married to another person. Divorces/Dissolutions must be final. Marriages are also prohibited between ancestor and descendant, brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew, whether the relationship is by half or whole blood. Marriage between cousins is permitted in the State of Colorado.

Age Requirement

The age requirements for parties to the marriage are the same: for ages 18 and older, no parental consent is required.

Ages 16 or 17, ONE of the following documents is required:

  1. Completed and notarized/acknowledged Consent Form
  2. A certified copy of a judicial order showing permission to marry

Ages 15 and under, BOTH of the following documents are required:

  1. Completed and notarized/acknowledged Consent Form
  2. A certified copy of a judicial order showing permission to marry
Blood Test

As of July 1, 1989, blood tests are no longer required for either party in the State of Colorado.

Marriage License Application Process

The cost of the license is $30.00 and must be used within 35 days of issuance

The Marriage


Marriage licenses issued in the State of Colorado cannot be used in any other state or country. Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (self solemnizing a marriage means a couple can marry each other without having a third party perform a ceremony) (C.R.S. 14-2-109). Although the couple may solemnize their own marriage, that does not mean a friend or relative can sign as an officiant on a marriage certificate. Instructions for self solemnizing your ceremony are provided at the time you appear in our office to apply for the license.

Others who can solemnize a marriage are judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials and clergy.

Clergy, officiants, or judges from out-of-state need not be registered in Colorado.


The person solemnizing the marriage shall complete the marriage certificate and return it to the County Clerk & Recorder within sixty-three days after the ceremony. Any person who fails to return the marriage certificate to the County Clerk and Recorder's office shall be required to pay a $20 late fee and an additional five dollar late fee may be assessed for each additional day of failure to comply up to a maximum of $50.

Be sure the certificate is filled out entirely, including county, date of marriage, time of the ceremony, physical location of ceremony, the officiant signature, the officiant's title, and the signature of both parties.

Witnesses are not required in the State of Colorado. If you choose to have witnesses, there are no restrictions on the age of your witnesses. Feel free to have children sign!

After the Marriage

Once the license has been returned to the Clerk and Recorder's office, it will be recorded and imaged by our Fort Collins office. The original license will be retained for 3-4 days for the recording process to be complete. If you haven't received your marriage license back from us within 14 days after it has been recorded with our office, please call (970) 498-7860 to inquire.

Obtaining Copies

You may obtain a certified copy of the license immediately upon its return to the Fort Collins office or within 3 days after the license is returned to one of our satellite offices. To obtain certified copies of your marriage license/certificate or application, please use the following procedures:

To request via mail:

  • Submit a written request to our office stating the following:
    • Full names of both parties
    • Date of ceremony
  • The mailing address where we can return your copies
  • Please include payment
    • Certified copies of the marriage license/certificate are $1.25 each, regular copies are .25 each
  • Mail your request to:
    • Larimer County Clerk and Recorder
      Attn: Copies
      PO Box 1280
      Fort Collins, CO 80522

To request via phone:

  • Please call (970) 498-7860
    • Please note: Payments made via credit card or electronic check over the phone are subject to a third party administrative fee. Please contact our office for more details.

To request in person:

  • Please visit any one of our three office locations:
    • Fort Collins – 200 W. Oak Street, Suite 1000
    • Loveland – 205 E. 6th Street, 1st Floor
    • Estes Park – 1601 Brodie Avenue

Common Law Marriage

The Clerk and Recorder's office does not provide any forms pertaining to a common law marriage. Information can be obtained by visiting the Colorado Attorney General's website at

Background Image: Larimer County Mountain pass in Summer. All rights reserved.