County Offices, Courts, and the Landfill will all be closed on Monday, May 30, 2016 for the Memorial Day Holiday. Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.
Larimer County Workforce Investment Board
June 8, 2011 – 7:45 am to 9:30 am
Innosphere – 320 E. Vine St., Fort Collins, CO
A. Call to Order (Yvonne Myers, Columbine Health Systems) (7:45 - 7:55)
1. Introductions – Including Guest Introductions
2. Review agenda
Plan Review & Approval - Special Meeting June 13th 12:00-1:30
Larimer County Courthouse (200 West Oak Street) in the Hearing Room
Ellen Golombek, CDLE Executive Director, Michael Nicoletti, Assistant
to the Executive Director & Stephanie Steffens, Colorado Workforce Development
B. Consent Calendar (Yvonne Myers) (7:55 – 7:57)
of Minutes (April 6, 2011)
Motion was made to accept minutes as written, motion seconded and
C. WIB By-Laws Change Review & Approval **Vote Required** (Yvonne Myers) 7:57 – 8:00)
Changing terms for officers to January 1 to December
Motion was made to change officer terms from July 1 – June 30th to
January 1 –December 31st, motion seconded and unanimously approved.
Clean Energy Manufacturing & Innovation Park Update & Discussion (8:00
(Cynthia Christie, Colorado Association for Manufacturing & Technology &
Betsey Hale, City of Loveland)
Cynthia Christie gave a brief overview of the manufacturing sector and
how CAMT and ACE may work together to shorten the path to production.
Betsey Hale described the history of the ACE project and anticipated impact to the region.
She invited everyone to the official announcement of the selection of Loveland, Colorado
as the site for Aerospace Clean Energy Manufacturing & Innovation Park at 4:00 on June 9, 2011.
See attached PowerPoint for more information.
Colorado Department of Labor & Employment Discussion
(8:30 – 9:00)
Yvonne thanked Ellen for attending today’s meeting and asked her to share some of what’s
going on at CDLE.
Ellen thanked everyone for hosting her today. She explained
that CDLE is an incredibly varied department and includes 4 divisions one of
which is the Division of Employment and Training. In her opinion the Division
of Employment and Training is one of the most exciting and high potential
divisions. There are 19 workforce regions in the state under the Division
and her goal is to attend a WIB meeting at each region.
She shared some challenges and goals for the Division
· All workforce regions have some of the same core services and provide additional services based on the needs of their community. However, each workforce region may call the core services by different names. If you are a business HR director with locations in multiple regions and you have to learn a different language it makes it difficult to navigate the system. A major goal is to create a system that’s easy to navigate for businesses and job seekers.
· Pilot programs are critical and we are willing to take a chance on innovative projects. Ellen challenges all workforce centers to come together to resolve some of the barriers. For instance, the state has been charged with reviewing every rule, regulation and required report to justify the necessity.
· Out of date technology at the state is straining various systems including the unemployment insurance call center customer service.
· The Unemployment Statute has seen considerable changes over the last 50 years. We would like to rewrite the law in a way that makes sense.
· Right now only about 10% of businesses post job openings on Connecting Colorado and 100% of job seekers are required to register. We would like to increase the number of businesses using services.
· Increase sharing of best practices. Reduce competition for the same funds and work together for the best of the state.
F. Workforce Summit (9:00 – 9:15)
on Governor’s Economic Development Plan
(Joni Friedman, Larimer County Workforce Center)
Both the Larimer County and Regional plans have been completed. Kathay Rennels
described how all the regional plans will be aligned to give a picture of the state.
Addressing priorities will be a combination of the state and local agencies working together.
Summit Planning Committee Report & Discussion on Next Steps
The Workforce Summit is November 2, 2011 from 7:30 – 12:00 at The Ranch. The committee
is in the planning phase, including identifying guest speakers. They are considering completing a report similar to the Charlotte Region report “The Competitive Workforce Alliance, The State of Our Region’s Economy and Workforce”. This data and report would drive the Workforce Summit and other workforce and economic projects and serve as a strategic roadmap for the region. Current topics being discussed for inclusion in the summit include utilities/green energy, on-shoring and entrepreneurialism. A copy of the report can be found at www.agreatworkforce.com
G. Colorado Workforce Development Council & State Youth Council Update (9:15 – 9:25)
Hardy, McWhinney, Jim Neubecker, Pipefitters Union, Retired & Stephanie
Jim described some of the activities the State Youth Council has participated in this year.
Stephanie shared that the CWDC is a 54 member council that join together to work on solutions from the bottom up. Members include 9 Executive Directors of different State of Colorado agencies, 35 business council members and regional representatives. They are working on their strategic plan and will soon be requesting feedback. Next on the agenda is to ensure that there is good communication between the CWDC, workforce centers and the WIBs. They want to create a system that can accomplish projects in a reasonable amount of time.
H. Discussion on WIB & WFC Updates (Kathy Dotson, Larimer County Workforce Center) (9:25 – 9:30)
(Emailed as an attachment to you prior to the meeting)
1. Healthcare Sector Committee
2. Energy Grant
3. Youth Council
4. WIB Collaboration Software
5. Workforce Center Updates
Please see attached updates.
Yvonne announced that Kathy Olson has accepted a job in Denver and will be resigning from the WIB and Youth Council. Everyone joined Yvonne in wishing Kathy all the best in her future endeavors.
2011 WIB Meetings: