Larimer County Fair & Rodeo

Meeting Minutes

March 25, 2009

 

Public Comment:

  • None

 

Meeting Called to Order at 7:00 p.m. by:

                Mike Adams, Chairman

 

Approval of February meeting minutes:

  • Motion to approve January meeting minutes made by:

                                Shannon Fancher

Seconded by:

                                Larry Dunn

                Motion to approve February meeting minutes voted on and passed.

 

Correspondence:

  • Mike passed around a thank you card from Pam Heeney for the flowers the Board sent to her mother’s funeral.

 

Presentations:

  • Queen’s

o  Keaton reported on their recent and upcoming events. 

o  Queen’s Committee is planning on holding some other fund raising events to take the place of the canceled ball.

 

Chairman’s Topics:  Mike Adams

  • New Flow Chart

o  Mike discussed responsibility flow chart.

·  First Tuesday of the month is when the Executive Board Committee meetings are held.  At these meetings the committee sets the agenda for the next monthly Fair Board meeting.  The minutes of the Executive Board Committee meetings will be sent out to the rest of the Board by Mike.  The officers, chairman, vice-chairman and secretary, will hold their meetings the Friday before the scheduled Fair Board meetings. 

 

Committee Reports:

  • Animal Welfare – Shannon Fancher

o  Shannon gave explanation between Animal Rights and Animal Welfare.  Animal Rights come from people who believe animal deserve same rights as humans, Animal Welfare is based on human care and treatment of animals. 

o  Shannon read the text for publishing on the fair website and will send it to Commissioners Rennels to have the county attorney look over.

  • Pancake Breakfast – Loren  Maxey reminded the committee of the 7:30 am March 28th meeting at the Loveland IHOP.
  •  Parade –No report

 

Volunteers:  Jacque Loebig

  • At the committee meeting just prior to the Fair Board meeting, John Lee gave the committee a presentation of the scheduling software program “Snap Schedule”. 
  • After discussion of price and payment -

     Motion to purchase software program “Snap Schedule” made by:

                Myrna Rodenberger

     Motion seconded by:

                Shannon Fancher

      Motion to purchase software program “Snap Schedule” voted on and passed.

  • Continuing  to get applications
  • Sub committee chairs need to start thinking about defining tasks and start making schedules.

 

Junior Livestock Sale: Gregg Melick

§  Gregg reported that the next meeting will be Tuesday, March 31 at 7:00 pm. in the Berthoud room.

 

 

Extension: Laurel Kubin

§  Laurel reported that the operation hours for the 4-H McKee Building and the Exhibition East Hall will be the same as the Exhibition West Hall.

§  4-H newsletter will communicate pre-entry deadlines and open class participants will get a postcard.  Extension will work with marketing to get this information on posters and flyers also.

§  Wendy reported a great turnout at the 4-H Carnival on the 28th of February.  She also reported that there were 115 market beef weighed-in.

 

Rodeo:   Steve Humann

  • Steve passed out information on ticket prices and explained the comparison chart.  The general public tickets will be raised by $2 per ticket.  Founding Partner tickets will not change.  4-H Family Night tickets will be raised by $1from $5 to $6.  Projects approximate increase of $9,000.00 to $10,000.00.

 

Ranch Updates:   Lisa Lytle

  • Introduction of Liz Garcia, new event coordinator, who will take over many of Rochelle’s Fair responsibilities.
  • Bldgs & Grounds

o  Layouts will be passed out at next meeting.

o  Goal this year to provide more shade

o  Help needed to fix “Farmer for a Day” displays, please contact Liz if interested.

  • Entertainment

o  Ag BBQ held on Sunday evening

o  Some band and act contracts sent out already

o  AVR back again with their all over campus sound system

o  Fireworks contracted

o  Movie night (2 nights) contracted

o  3X3 demonstration area time slots almost filled

o  Crystal Lyons will hold  “Cowboy Church” service in BEC on Sunday

o  Working on the possibility of having a hot air balloon launch during pancake breakfast

o  Working on having school bands kick off Fair on Friday night.

o  Carnival will not offer Thursday night discount tickets

  • Arena Activities

o  Abby is working on

  • Schedule will be e-mailed to Fair Board soon and also put up on Fair website
  • Website updates

o  Schedule will be broken down for easier searching

o  Plan-A-Day at the Fair – Liz

o  Packaging a private party tent located outside of indoor arena for rent by the hour

  • Marketing – Lisa reported for Mike Killion

o  Poster will be ready for next Fair Board meeting

o  Creating  a “Face book” account

o  Would like to get some ideas for a scavenger hunt leading up to Fair and ending at Fair.

o  Need fun facts for each of the 130 days leading up to Fair. John Lee will be the contact for these and he will then forward to Mike.

o  Some human interest stories, suggest spotlighting committees.

  • Sponsorships – Lisa gave Katie’s update

 

Other/New Business:

  • Discussed proposal to change the name of the volunteers.  Alan Rankin suggested deciding on this at the Strategy Session on Saturday.

 

Old Business:

  • Shirts for new Board member and new commissioners have been ordered.
  • Strategy Session, Mike Adams will put together an agenda.

 

Adjournment:

        Motion to adjourn meeting made by:

                Everett Van Campen

        Motion seconded by:

                Steve Humann

        Meeting adjourned

Respectfully submitted by:

KL

ms/recording secretary