Larimer County Offices, Courts, District Attorney, Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste, and Recycle Center are all closed on Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2015.
County Offices are also closed on Friday, November 27 while the Courts, District Attorney, Landfill, Household Hazardous Waste, and Recycle Center are open. Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
LARIMER COUNTY BOARD OF HEALTH – April 11, 2012
The Larimer County Board of Health (BOH) convened its regular meeting at 7:30 PM at the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment (LCDHE), 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO
Members Present: C.J. McKinney, Ph.D.
N. Mark Richards, M.D., M.P.H.
Lee Thielen, M.P.A.
Debbie Healy, RN, BHS
Executive Secretary: Adrienne LeBailly, M.D., M.P.H.
Staff: Marie Macpherson, Avie Strand, Jerry Blehm, Paula Lady
Public: Ray Martinez, Laurie Marks,
Pamela Dickman, Loveland Reporter Herald
1. Call to order - The Board of Health meeting was called to order at 7:30 PM. Mr. Yurash made a motion to move the syringe exchange discussion up on the agenda to accommodate members of the public in attendance. Motion passed.
2. Approval of March 15, 2012 meeting minutes - Minutes of the March 15, 2012 meeting were amended to reflect the percent increase of items of the septic permits. Minutes were then unanimously approved.
3. Follow-up discussion of Syringe Exchange Proposal by the Northern Colorado AIDS project (not a decision-making item) and further information needed before May Board meeting – The grant to operate the syringe exchange program is set to begin July 1 but could be started later. July 1 is the preferred date for NCAP. There was discussion to determine how the BOH should collect comprehensive input from the community regarding the syringe exchange. It seems the format that was presented at this evening’s meeting was not what some participants were expecting so this may have led to an angry response from some of them. The Board decided to hold another meeting in a formal public hearing format for additional citizen input. It will be held in the Commissioner’s Hearing Room on Tuesday, May 15th from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm. The regular BOH meeting will be May 10th at 7:00 pm as previously planned [subsequently cancelled]. It was also agreed that the BOH June meeting will be moved from June 14th to June 21st and the July meeting has been moved from July 12th to July 19th to accommodate everyone’s schedules. Dr. LeBailly will email to BOH members the comments and opinions that she has collected and compiled from various sources regarding the proposed syringe exchange program.
The Commissioners have requested that the Environmental Advisory Board review the impact of infectious waste as a result of the syringe exchange program. This will be discussed at the EAB’s meeting in the Commissioner’s Hearing Room on May 8th from 6 pm – 9 pm. This meeting is open to the public.
The Health District of Northern Larimer County has been asked to write a pro / con analysis, but the Board may or may not take a position on this program. Mr. McKinney requested a formal statement or a brief account of their position from the Office of the Safety Manager in Denver and the city police and sheriff’s office from Boulder. Ms. Healy discussed the research on syringe exchange programs that she has completed. Dr. LeBailly will have the information scanned that Ms. Healy has made available to the group and shared with BOH members.
4. Review of Joseph Jabaily Public Health Hero Award nominations – Nominees were discussed amongst the BOH members. Ms. Thielen made a motion for Jennifer Anderson to be nominated for the award. Motion passed, all in favor. The award will be presented at a future meeting. [The recipient is unable to attend until the July BOH meeting]
5. Consideration of a revision to Board of Health bylaws to allow the BOH President to vote in all Board of Health actions – Dr. LeBailly suggested the following revision to the BOH bylaws: The president (or vice-president, when presiding) is allowed the same rights and privileges as all other board members to make motions or seconds, to speak in debate, and to vote on all questions. The president will conduct all meetings in an impartial manner and allow the other board members the opportunity to speak first. Dr. Richards made a motion to adopt the revision, Ms. Thielen seconded the motion. Motion passed, all in favor.
6. Update on Community Health Assessment/Public Health Improvement Planning process – Dr. LeBailly reported to the BOH that the Community Health Assessment data subcommittee will start with the National Prevention Strategy’s seven priority areas and add seven strategic directions to be considered for the Leadership Committee to review.
7. Brief overview of Year End Financial status for 2011 – Ms. Macpherson reported that the budget summary for 2011 looks good. Ms. Macpherson distributed an analysis and summary to the BOH for review.
– Dr. LeBailly reported that our County Manager,
Frank Lancaster has resigned. He has taken a position as Town Manager of Estes
Legislative updates – Cottage Foods Bill has passed, allowing certain home-made foods to be sold at roadside stands, farmers markets, etc. The Colorado Restaurant Association won their battle regarding not having to close a restaurant unless a local health department takes the restaurant to court to force closure. A bill that seems unlikely to pass would mean that the Nurse Family Partnership will continue to remain in the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment rather than being moved to the Colorado Department of Human Services.
9. Next meeting – May 10, 2012, 7 PM [May meeting was cancelled; next regular meeting is Thursday, June 21, 7 PM]
10. Meeting was adjourned at 9:20 pm.
Paula Lady, Recording Secretary Adrienne LeBailly, MD, Executive Secretary