Estes Park offices are closed today due to weather. The Town of Estes Park is also closed today. Please plan accordingly. We apologize for any inconvenience. Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY BOARD
November 9, 2011
Members present: David Bee, Curtis Bridges, LuAnn Goodyear, Lew Gaiter (Board of County Commissioner Liaison), Ch arles Gindl er ( Larimer County Department of Natural Resources Liaison ), Lou Grant, Jason Kraft, Linda Hoffmann (Staff liaison, Larimer County Planning & Building Division) Minerva Lee, Val Manning, George Reed, Richard Seaworth, Bill Spencer (Rural Land Use Advisory Board Liaison)
Guests: Eric Hecox, Colorado Water Conservation Board, Donny Dustin, City of Fort Collins Utilities, Bob Kraft, Vicki Marble, Kristin Grazier, and Brenda Gimeson
Members absent: Justin Discoe, Dennis Goeltl, Gail Meisner, Brett Markham, Jon Slutsky, and George Wallace.
I. Val Manning called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m.
II. There were many new faces in the room so time was allowed for introductions of all.
III. The September 14, 2011 AAB Meeting Minutes were reviewed. No corrections were required. Minerva Lee made a motion to adopt the minutes as written. Richard Seaworth seconded the motion. All were in favor. Minutes were adopted as written.
IV. Eric Hecox from the Colorado Water Conservation Board was in attendance to give a presentation on the Statewide Water Supply Initiative (SWSI) Report 2010. This report provides a comprehensive picture of Colorado’s water needs, now and into the future, and compiles information to develop a common understanding of existing and future water supplies and demands throughout Colorado. This report provides a gap analysis of water supply demands to 2050 and outlines strategies on how to fill those gaps. Mr. Hecox provided a copy of the SWSI 2010 Fact Sheet. A copy of this fact sheet and the full report can be found on their website at www.cwdb.state.co.us. Additionally, this presentation was video-taped, so if anyone wishes to view the presentation, please contact Linda Hoffmann.
V. Donnie Dustin from the City of Fort Collins Utilities was in attendance and gave a presentation on the updated policies for water supply and demand management. He provided the Board with a comment form that can be filled out as a group or individually and sent to Donnie for consideration of policies. Additional information can be found on their website at www.fcgov.com or by contacting Donnie at directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-2053.
· Val manning mentioned that a group of members presented the position paper to the Board of County Commissioners and the media in response to the Save the Poudre Facts about Farming paper. The information was well received. Everyone seems pleased that the board is active in this discussion. Val received call from the Greeley Tribune as they want to do a story about what Larimer was doing versus Weld. Also, the Northern Colorado Business Report will also be doing a story. Everyone seemed pleased that the Board provided a farm facts handout. They are also interested in why there was a minority report. All were reminded that there were specific points in the farm facts and the minority report added in additional comments that some members had to offer. Commissioner Gaiter praised the Board for their efforts.
· There have been a couple of new appointments to this Board but there is one more spot to fill. The county commissioners office will be re-advertising the opening so if any members know of anyone interested, please pass along the information.
· Linda Hoffmann informed the Board of two upcoming events and left flyers for the Board for each event:
Ø 2011 Ag Water Summit to be held at the Ranch on December 1, 2011, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This event is being hosted by the Colorado Ag Water Alliance in connection with the Inter-basin Compact Committee (IBCC) and others. A flyer is available if anyone is interested. An agenda and registration can be found at www.coagwater.com. Don’t miss this exciting opportunity.
Ø CSU is hosting a public forum where growers, consumers and engaged stakeholders can participate in discussion about issues affecting the food system and your role in the food system. The meeting will be held Monday, November 14, 2011, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Larimer County Courthouse Offices Building, Boyd and Carter Lake Conference Rooms, 1st Floor, 200 West Oak Street, Fort Collins, Colorado.
· Linda Hoffmann announced that she had a meeting with Kerri Rollins from the Open Lands Department. They are currently applying for a grant through Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) to get the money to update their master plan. This would be a comprehensive update that would include coordination for a County wide master plan that would include both incorporated and unincorporated areas. They have been hearing the message that agriculture needs to be a bigger part of open space management in the area. Kerri Rollins is lead on the grant application. Linda suggested to her that the Ag Board would be interested in participating in the master plan update and she assured them that member of the Board would want to participate. Ms. Rollins was anxious to get the Board’s input. There would be a couple of different levels of groups to work on it. Linda will bring updates as they occur but she asked that the Board think about if this is something the land committee would work on or if individuals would be appointed. The timeline is that the GOCO grant and committee’s recommendation should be out in a week or two. Then the State GOCO Board would decide in December. The final word would come if they received the grant at that time. The Study would then start sometime in early 2012 and would take about a year. Charlie Gindler also mentioned that any outcome would have influence on ballot language proposals for renewal of the sales tax funding Open Lands. George Reed volunteered to participate.
· Commissioner Gaiter announced that Gail Meisner will be his guest tomorrow at the T-Bar Inn at 7:30 am and will be talking about her trip to DC during his meeting . Commissioner Gaiter will then be discussing the Budget at the Red Feather Lakes meeting later in the day.
VII. The next AAB meeting will be held on January 11, 2012 at 12:30 p.m. at the CSU Larimer County Extension office.
VIII. The meeting was adjourned at 3:17 p.m.