Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson

Office on Aging Advisory Council

July 13, 2006


Held at 112 E. Willow

Fort Collins, Colorado  80524


Members Present:

Roger Bailey

Paul Bell

Rene DeMattei


Marcy Greenslit

Janet Montera

Ellen Pihlstrom


Mary Shultz

Earl Stevens

Barbara Tuttle


Stan Ulrich

Don Venneberg

Sharon Zamora





Members Absent

Nancy Arthur

Steve Budner

Gerry Hinks


Elnora McCloughan

Barbara Nuss

Carol Rehme


Karen Reinhardt

Lloyd Spawn

Hal Wilson





Staff Present:

Tina Hugo

Laura Kreider

Margaret Long


Katy Mason

Glen Rathgeber

Linda Rumney


Laura Sutherlin







Guests Present:

Marjorie McTaggart




Earl Stevens called the meeting to order.


Earl Stevens introduced and welcomed new members Dr. Roger Bailey, Rene DeMattei, Marcy Greenslit, and Barbara Tuttle.


There was no open discussion or community input.


Medicare Part D was changed to Office on Aging Advisory Council Provider Site-Visits.

CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES OF June 8, 2006                              

Grammatical changes to Page 4 under staff reports were recommended.  Third sentence from the bottom of the 5th paragraph was changed to, “Medicaid has tightened that “loop hole” making the process less timely and more cumbersome.”  The word faculties was changed to facilities in the last sentence of same paragraph. 


Earl Stevens reported that the Executive Committee met with Dr. Biaz from CSU to discuss ways to approach and effectively communicate with the Hispanic community.  The objective is to create bridges.  Margaret Long added that we would like to create a focus group in order to get input from the Hispanic community leading up to the 4-year plan.


Margaret Long reported on the United Way funding cuts.  Margaret noted that several of the Office on Aging providers received cuts.  Margaret stated that United Way has increased funding but has added 12 new agencies.  The actual cuts to the Office on Aging providers were:  Loveland Meals-on-Wheels - $28,000, Fort Collins Meals-on-Wheels - $28,000, SAINT - $20,000, and RVNA approximately $20,000.  Elderhaus also received a reduction, but at this point the amount has not been calculated.  Margaret asked Elderhaus for the dollar amount required to keep the Application Assistance program.  Margaret stated that due to an increase in State funding the Office on Aging is in a position to cover about 50% of the funding cuts with permission from the council.  Margaret noted that this is a possible area for advocacy from the council.  United Way’s emphasis seems to be on the issues around homelessness.  Margaret stated that another reason for the decrease in funding is based on the fact that a lot of United Way funds are designated. 


Margaret reported on the passing of House Bill 1023.  Margaret believes that it should not have an impact on the Older Americans Act programs.  Margaret stated that it will however impact public benefits.  The Office on Aging is concerned with the nursing home population because of the bill’s requirement for a picture ID. 


Margaret distributed a copy of the Bird Flu Pandemic Influenza workshop PowerPoint presentation.  Margaret stated that there were well over 300 people in attendance.  Basically the main message is not a question of “if” but “when” we will get hit with a pandemic.  Margaret believes that this is an issue for the advisory council’s involvement, possibly in the education or health committees.  Laura Sutherlin and Margaret will be working with several agencies to discuss how to identify the special needs population during an emergency.  This population includes the frail elderly and persons with disabilities.  Margaret stated that the State has been pushing the Office on Aging for an Emergency Response Plan which is currently required for the nutrition and transportation programs.  At this point the Office on Aging defers to the county plan which has not been updated since 1998. 

Office on Aging Advisory Council Provider Site Visits: 

Katy reported that she is coordinating the dates and times for each committee to conduct their site visits.  Katy described that the Health committee meets with Elderhaus and RVNA.  The Education committee meets with Elderhaus, United Way 211 and Wallace & Kling. The Transportation committee meets with Saint, Special Transit, Berthoud Area Transportation Services, Dial-A-Ride, and the Wellington Senior Center.  The Nutrition committee meets with Volunteers of America and Loveland Meals on Wheels.  Katy stated that all site visits need to be completed in August.  Katy asked any new members that are interested in participating to join a committee. 


Fort Collins Senior Advisory Board Report

Marjorie McTaggart reported that the committee is working on getting a “Policy on Aging” put together to present to the Fort Collins City Council.  Marjorie stated that Dean Miller is on that committee.   She went on to explain that presently there is no policy at the state, county or city level.  There is a “plan” but no policy. 


Marjorie commented that the board is working on several events including: Bridging the Gap, Chili Cook off, Cemetery Stroll, and the Homecoming Parade. 


Marjorie announced that the AARP Drive Safety Course is available on-line. 


Marjorie reported that TRIAD is currently working on an evacuation plan.   There will be a 10th anniversary event in October at the Loveland Policy Institute.  Marjorie reminded the council that the DNR surveys are due at the end of the month. 


Marjorie reported that the Women’s Commission is concerned with Karen Wagner’s term limit which is up next.


Loveland Senior Advisory Board

Earl Stevens reported that the Loveland Cherry Pie Festival will be held at the museum.  The 19th Annual Sculpture Art Show will be August 11-14.


Foundation on Aging

Mary Shultz reported that their next meeting will be in August.  Mary stated that the foundation has been receiving funding requests from RVNA.


Larimer County Commissioner

Karen Wagner was not present.


Human Relations Commission

A representative from the Larimer County Human Relations Commission was not present. 


Commission on Aging

Mark Shelton was not present.


Stan Ulrich gave a brief autobiography.


Education Committee

Mary Shultz reported that the committee attended the cultural diversity presentation and discussed the Legislative Breakfast on September 8th.


Executive Committee

Earl Stevens noted the Dr. Biaz’s discussion included insights into the Hispanic culture and ways to approach the Hispanic community.


Health Committee

No report given. 


Membership Committee

No report given. 


Nutrition Committee

Margaret Long suggested that the council get an interim chair for this committee.  Margaret stated that Hal is doing well and is pleased with the care that he is receiving.


Housing Committee

Stan Ulrich reported that he gave the trailer home survey results to Susan Collins to compile. 


Transportation Committee

Earl Stevens announced that there was an interesting article in the Denver Post about transportation issues.  The article noted that Weld County has been refractory in working on transportation in any way. 


Staff Reports

Linda Rumney reported that she and Tina Barker had surgery in June.  Tina will continue to be out for at least another week or two.  Laura Kreider will finish her internship August 4th.  Laura reported on a recent Medicaid meeting she attended and the new rules around immigration and the requirement for photo ID’s.  Laura stated that it had been decided that Medicare recipients will be exempt from the requirement.  Laura reported on the dental issue in long term care.  She is in the process of interviewing long-term care facilities and completing a dental survey.  So far, the finding show that there is not as big of an issue as originally thought.  A few facilities do have some issues to work through, but most facilities have been using the PETI process effectively. 


Katy Mason reported on the dental issue outside of long-term care facilities.  Katy stated that she and Margaret are participating in an Oral Health Task Force sponsored by the Women’s Resource Center.  The next meeting of the task force is on July 17th at noon at the Harmony Library. 


Katy described the Bridging the Gap Luncheon for the new members.  It will be on September 29th from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  At will be at the McKee Medical Center in Loveland.  The Loveland Senior Advisory Board has offered to subsidize half of the $18 cost.  The Office on Aging will also pay half of the cost for advisory council members.  Katy requested volunteers from the advisory council members to act as table hosts for this year’s event.


Laura Sutherlin reported that she is still in the development stage of the ARCH program.  Currently she is creating training for proper internal referral within Human Services.  Margaret Long suggested that Laura bring the training presentation to the advisory council. 


Margaret Long reported on behalf of Lynette McGowan.  Lynette is attending a State Family Caregiver Program meeting.  Margaret reported that the new state money will pay for the grant that was not received by the Rosalind Carter Foundation.  A major portion of the funding will be used for the development of the Volunteers of America’s Volunteer Respite program.



Earl Stevens recommended that the new members attend each committee for review and consideration.   He stated that there is a council requirement that each member work on at least one of the committees.  The committee meeting schedules are as follows:

  • Senior Attainable Housing:  1st Friday of each month at 9:00-10:30 at the Fort Collins Senior Center
  • Transportation Committee:  3rd Friday of each month at 8:00-9:00 at the Fort Collins Senior Center
  • Executive Committee:  3rd Friday of each month at 9:15-10:15 at the Fort Collins Senior Center
  • Education Committee:  3rd Friday of each month at 10:15-11:15 at the Fort Collins Senior Center
  • Health Committee:  4th Tuesday of each month at 8:00-9:30 at the Alzheimer’s Association.


NOTE:  The August meeting of the Advisory Council will NOT be held at Oakbrook II!  It will be held at 1501 Blue Spruce, Room 135B.  There will be a New Member’s Orientation lunch starting at 12:00 noon.  All new members and chairs are asked to attend.



Earl Stevens adjourned the meeting.


Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.