County Offices, Courts, and the Landfill will all be closed on Monday, May 30, 2016 for the Memorial Day Holiday. Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.
MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
There were no meetings held on Monday, January 11, 2010.
TUESDAY, JANUARY 12, 2010
The Board of County Commissioners met at 9:00 a.m. with Frank Lancaster, County Manager. Chair Johnson presided and Commissioner Donnelly was present. Also present were: Neil Gluckman, Donna Hart, and Deni LaRue, Commissioners’ Office; Christine Murray, Assessor’s Office; Candace Phippen, Planning Department; Dale Miller, Road and Bridge Department; Jeannine Haag and William Ressue, County Attorney’s Office; and Melissa Lohry, Deputy Clerk.
1. PUBLIC COMMENT: Evelyn King addressed the Board and encouraged them to request exemption of Larimer County from state emissions requirements, under Senate Bill 09-003. Ms. King also informed the Board of a mandatory hearing in March with the Colorado Air Quality Control Commission.
Chair Johnson thanked Ms. King for her time.
2. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES FOR THE WEEKS OF DECEMBER 28, 2009, AND JANUARY 4, 2010:
M O T I O N
Commissioner Donnelly moved that the Board of County Commissioners approve the minutes for the weeks of December 28, 2009, and January 4, 2010.
Motion carried 2-0.
3. REVIEW OF THE SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF JANUARY 18, 2010: Ms. Hart reviewed the upcoming schedule with the Board.
4. CONSENT AGENDA:
01122010A001 COMMUNICATION AGREEMENT BY AND BETWEEN THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS AND PLATTE RIVER POWER AUTHORITY
01122010A002 AGREEMENT CONCERNING ELECTION SERVICES BETWEEN THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS, THE LARIMER COUNTY CLERK AND RECORDER, AND THE CITY OF LOVELAND
01122010R001 RESOLUTION REGARDING EXTENSION OF APPROVAL FOR THOMPSON’S LAKESIDE SUBDIVISION LOTS 4&5 AMENDED PLAT TIME EXTENSION
01122010R002 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE AMENDED EXEMPTION OF TRACT 1 IN THE ALVEY / HAHN AMENDED PLAT
01122010R003 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE HANDLEY EXEMPTION, TRACT A, AMENDED PLAT AND THE BETS-NELL BOUNDARY LINE ADJUSTMENT
01122010R004 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE AMENDED PLAT OF LOTS 111, 113, & 114 OF MEADOWDALE HILLS 2ND FILING AND LOT 112 AMENDED PLAT OF LOTS 74 & 112
01122010R005 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION BRIDGE FLOODPLAIN SPECIAL REVIEW
01122010R006 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION DENYING THE GREEN AT AUBURN ESTATES CONSERVATION DEVELOPMENT PRELIMINARY PLAT
01122010R007 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE LAKE AT BIGHORN CONSERVATION DEVELOPMENT PRELIMINARY PLAT
01122010R008 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE BACON QUARRY SPECIAL REVIEW AMENDMENT TO CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL
01122010R009 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE ALLEN / WYANT APPEAL
01122010R010 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE OPEN RANGE COMMUNICATIONS APPEAL
01122010R011 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE EXTENSION OF THE RICKY RIDGE ESTATES CONSERVATION DEVELOPMENT PRELIMINARY PLAT APPROVAL
01122010R012 FINDINGS AND RESOLUTION APPROVING THE MCCONNELL REZONING
01122010R013 RESOLUTION SETTING A PUBLIC HEARING ON THE PROPOSED ASSESSMENT ROLL FOR LARIMER COUNTY LOCAL IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT #2008-1 (HIDDEN VIEW ESTATES) AND PROVIDING FOR THE MAILING AND PUBLICATION OF NOTICE THEREOF
MISCELLANEOUS: Appointment to the Red Feather Mountain Library District – David Christopher – January 1, 2010, through December 31, 2012; Appointment to the Red Feather Mountain Library District – Gary Dreith – to fill the unexpired term of Michele Moon, January 1, 2010, through December 31, 2011; Appointment to the Red Feather Mountain Library District – Marilyn Colter & Maryanne Lyon – to co-fill the unexpired term of Nancy Johnson, January 1, 2010, through December 31, 2010; Reappointment to the Red Feather Mountain Library District – June Dreith – January 1, 2010, through December 31, 2012; Board of Assessment Appeals for the State of Colorado Stipulation as to Tax Years 2006, 2007, and 2009, Actual Value Worldmark, The Club and Trendwest Resorts, Inc.; Larimer County, the Bluffs Improvement District #41, Advisory Board Bylaws.
5. APPOINTMENT OF THE SECURE RURAL SCHOOLS FUNDS NEGOTIATING COMMITTEE FOR LARIMER COUNTY: Mr. Miller requested the Board appoint three members, staff and/or Commissioners, to the Larimer County Secure Rural School Funds Negotiating Committee. He explained that the committee is charged with determining the applicable distribution percentages for 50% of the Title I funds received from the U.S. Forest Service, a total of $263,452.
After some discussion, the Board decided to appoint Chair Johnson, Mr. Lancaster, and Mr. Miller.
M O T I O N
Commissioner Donnelly moved that the Board of County Commissioners approve the appointment of Chair Steve Johnson, Frank Lancaster, and Dale Miller to Larimer County’s Secure Rural Schools Funds Negotiating Committee.
Motion carried 2-0.
6. COUNTY MANAGER WORKSESSION: Ms. Phippen and Captain Bill Porter, Larimer County Humane Society, addressed the Board to discuss reduced funding. Ms. Phippen reminded the Board that due to decreased funding from the county, the Humane Society has decrease services, including limiting their response to barking dog complaints and reducing the removal of deceased animals from county roads. She suggested that staff and the Humane Society collaborate to develop an informative handout for citizens to explain the reduction in services and provide alternative solutions.
Chair Johnson asked Captain Porter if a reduction in staff had been made at the Humane Society, due to their decreased budget. Captain Porter stated that staffing had not been reduced; however, the Humane Society has decided not to fill a vacant position at this time.
Chair Johnson asked Captain Porter why services had been reduced if there has not been a reduction in staff. Captain Porter stated that the vacant position is for a field officer and that vacancy reduces the amount of complaints to which the Humane Society is able to respond.
The Board thanked Ms. Phippen and Captain Porter and directed them to move forward in developing an informative brochure for distribution.
Mr. Lancaster informed the Board that staff has proposed revisions to the County’s Special Event Regulations, which will be presented to the public during an upcoming open house. He stated that public comment will be welcomed at the open house and considered before the revisions are presented for the Board’s approval.
Chair Johnson thanked Mr. Lancaster for the update.
7. COMMISSIONER ACTIVITY REPORTS: The Board detailed their attendance at events during the previous week.
8. LEGAL MATTERS: Ms. Haag, Mr. Ressue, and Ms. Murray appeared before the Board to inform them that Anheuser Busch is planning to appeal the property taxes assessed by Larimer County during 2009 and possibly 2008. Ms. Haag stated that if an appeal was granted, the county could lose a significant amount of tax dollars. Ms. Haag requested the Board authorize expenditures to hire an outside appraiser to increase the validity of the assessed value.
After some discussion about the appeals process, the Board stated that due to the a significant amount of money at risk, the county should do everything possible to solidify its argument, including but not limited to, hiring outside appraisers.
Ms. Haag requested the Board go into executive session to discuss specific legal matters and receive advice on pending litigation, with no decision to follow.
M O T I O N
Commissioner Donnelly moved that the Board of County Commissioners go into executive session to discuss specific legal matters and receive advice on pending litigation, pursuant to C.R.S. 24-6-402(4)(b).
Motion carried 2-0.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m.
STEVE JOHNSON, CHAIR
BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
CLERK AND RECORDER
Melissa Lohry, Deputy Clerk